China in Africa
Annexure I: The Focac Fuc Structure
Giving support and policy content to FOCAC is the powerful Follow-Up Committee. As previously indicated, Vice-Minister Ji Peiding was one of the top executive planners of the new PRC African policy. However, when he went on to become Beijing's top man in Hong Kong, the FUC group lost one of its main inspirational figures. Nevertheless, key political heavyweights in the Chinese political establishment who have lent weight and credibility to this new structure, include:
- Former Foreign Minister (1998-2003) and State Councillor: Tang Jiaxuan.
- MOFTEC Head: Shi Guangsheng.
- MOFTEC Deputy Head Sun Guangxiang
A "shadow steering committee" consisting of the Secretary-General (Foreign Ministry Director of West Asia and Africa), senior Chinese ambassadors to Africa, such as Liu Guijin, and former Commerce vice-Minister and now Ambassador to the Russian Federation , Liu Guchang. Senior MOFTEC/MOFCOM officials identified as having worked in the CACF and FUC are:
- Vice-Minister Sun Guangxiang (an electric engineer with experience in Sudan).
- Former Deputy-Director and Director-General of West Asian and African Affairs Wei Jianguo, who is now Vice Minister of Commerce. He is a French graduate with experience in Morocco and Tunisia.
- Assistant Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation of China, He Xiaowei, a graduate in Spanish and Politics and also a veteran of Mozambique and Guinea-Bissau affairs.
- Assistant Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Cooperation and now Commerce Vice Minister - Gao Hucheng, a former industrial worker. He is a French graduate with experience in both Congos. He is considered the "hard line" political director of the group.
Heading the administrative side of FUC is its Secretary-General Ms. Xu Jinghu, Director- General of the African Department in the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs.