Seminars & Events
IDE School on Cities, Development and Trade for Young Economists @IDE-JETRO, May 18-19, 2020
The IDE School is a short-intensive academic program for young economists coming from various countries. The school is two days program of 1) lectures by eminent scholars in the fields and 2) student’s presentations. The aim of this program is to provide young economists an opportunity to join the latest developments in the field of Urban, Development and Trade Economics, and to present their own ongoing research followed by feedback and discussion in a relaxed and open atmosphere. While the school will be primarily appealing to those who work on "Cities, Development and Trade", we would very much welcome participants from other fields such as Public, Environmental, and Labor Economics, who are interested in development and trade issues.Regarding COVID-19 coronavirus, unless otherwise advised, IDE School is taking place as scheduled.
May 18. (Monday) - 19. (Tuesday), 2020
3-2-2, Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba Japan 261-8545
- Klaus Desmet (Professor, Department of Economics & Cox School of Business, Southern Methodist University)
- Kyoji Fukao (President of IDE-JETRO)
- Wen-tai Hsu (Associate Professor of Economics, Singapore Management University)
- Jean-François Maystadt (Senior Lecturer at the Institute of Development Policy (IOB), Antwerpen Universiteit and Lancaster University)
- Alan Spearot (Associate Professor in the Economics Department, University of California, Santa Cruz)
- Jacques-François Thisse (IDE-JETRO and Université catholique de Louvain)
- Donald Davis (Columbia University)
- Gilles Duranton (Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania)
- Keijiro Otsuka (Kobe University and IDE-JETRO)
- Hitoshi Sato (IDE-JETRO)
- Jacques-François Thisse (IDE-JETRO and Université Catholique de Louvain)
15 February, 2020 (JST)6 March, 2020(JST) Kindly noted that no later application will be considered.
- CV (free format)
- One-page description about your representative research topics.
- An extended abstract of your paper, or preferably the full paper (only if you wish to present a paper at the school)
15 February 2020 (JST)6 March, 2020(JST) via e-mail to ide_school. If the reference fails to reach by the date shown above, the application automatically turned down.
- Successful applicants will be notified by March 16, 2020 (JST).
- Further information (schedule, reading list and detailed program) will be available at https://www.ide.go.jp/English/Events/Seminar/200518.html.
We welcome and encourage applications from scholars within five years from their completion of the Ph.D. program and Economics Ph.D. candidates working in the fields of the school.
Registration fees (150 USD or JPY18,000) cover all lecture materials, working lunches, coffee breaks, and one dinner in the first day. Accommodation is provided at the cost of 100 USD per night. The registration fee is not refundable once participants have registered. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide financial support for travel expenses, all participants need to prepare their flight ticket and other necessary transportation by themselves. If successful candidates would need a visa for entering Japan, we issue an invitation letter necessary for your temporary immigration procedure at the embassy of Japan in your country.
Deadline for applications:
February 15, 2020We have extended the deadline to March 6th 2020 and a few seats left for IDE School 2020.
Notification of successful applicants: March 16, 2020
Deadline for school registration: April 20, 2020
- Each day starts with lectures followed by participants’ paper presentations/discussions.
- There are eight (8) slots for participants’ presentation. Each presentation will last 20 minutes with 10 minutes time for discussion.
- Each day has lunch. We also cordially invite all participants to a welcome dinner in the first day.
Lecture 4 'Development and Trade costs between countries, regions, villages, and individuals'
|Lecture 6'Regional Inequlity and Industrial Structure in japan:1894-2012'|
*Please note that the lecture slot is the subject of modification.
The Scientific Committee will select the best student paper to which a prize will be awarded during the IDE School.
- If you have any enquiries, please contact us to ide_school