Education / Research Experience
|DPhil in Economics, University of Oxford, UK, 2011|
|MPhil in Economics, University of Oxford, UK, 2009|
|MSc in Economics, London School of Economics(LSE), UK, 2006|
|Postgraduate Diploma in Development Studies, Institute of Developing Economies Advanced School (IDEAS), Japan, 2005|
|BA in Business and Commerce, Keio University, Japan, 1999|
|Qualified to be Japan’s Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 2002|
|Auditor, Japanese Association for Development Economics, March 2019 -|
|Short-term Consultant, The World Bank, Aug 2018 – Jan 2019|
|Board of Editors, The Developing Economies, Nov 2012-|
|Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE-JETRO), Jan 2011-|
|Statutory Auditor/ IPO Consultant, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, Japan, 1999-2004|
- Kudo, Yuya, 2019, "What Should We Use as a Measure of Malaria Infection Risk? Implications from Infant Mortality during the Liberian Civil War," Journal of African Economies, Vol. 28, No. 4, pp. 371-407.
- Kudo, Yuya, Abu S. Shonchoy and Kazushi Takahashi, 2019, "Short-term Impacts of Solar Lanterns on Child Health: Experimental Evidence from Bangladesh," The Journal of Development Studies, Vol. 55, No. 11, pp. 2329-2346.
- Kudo, Yuya, Abu S. Shonchoy and Kazushi Takahashi, 2019, "Can Solar Lanterns Improve Youth Academic Performance? Experimental Evidence from Bangladesh," The World Bank Economic Review, Vol. 33, No. 2, pp. 436-460.
- Awarded the Albert Berry Prize 2016 at the Canadian Economics Association Conference.
- Kudo, Yuya, 2017, "Missionary Influence on Marriage Practices: Evidence from the Livingstonia Mission in Malawi," Journal of African Economies, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 372-431.
- Kudo, Yuya, 2015, "Female Migration for Marriage: Implications from the Land Reform in Rural Tanzania," World Development, Vol. 65, pp. 41-61. (221KB)
Non-refereed Publications (Selected)
- Kudo, Yuya, Abu S. Shonchoy and Kazushi Takahashi, 2019, "Solar Lanterns and Youth Academic Performance in Bangladesh," World Bank Research Digest, Vol. 13, No. 2.
Working Papers and Work in Progress
- "Legislation on infectious diseases in Africa" (in progress).
- "Village Vigilante Groups in Northern Tanzania: Implications for Cooperation under Elite Control" (available upon request)
- "Monitoring the Quality of Electricity Service in Developing Countries" with João Pedro Azevedo and William Seiz (in progress).
- "Female Genital Cutting and Long-term Adjustment of Marriage Markets: Evidence from West Africa," Discussion Paper No. 733, December 2018.
- "Does HIV/AIDS Discourage the Practice of Levirate Marriage? Theory and Evidence from Rural Tanzania" (An earlier version is Discussion Paper No. 627, January 2017).(1.32MB)
- "Stigma, Social Relationship and HIV Testing in the Workplace: Evidence from South Africa," (with Yutaka Arimoto, Seiro Ito, and Kazunari Tsukada) Discussion Paper No.386, February 2013.
- "Impacts of an HIV Counselling and Testing Initiative: Results from an Experimental Intervention in South Africa," (with Yutaka Arimoto, Narumi Hori, Seiro Ito, and Kazunari Tsukada) CEI Working Paper Series No. 2011-13, March 2012.
- "Returns to Migration：The Role of Educational Attainment in Rural Tanzania," Discussion Paper No.322, February 2012.
- American Journal of Agricultural Economics; China Economic Review; Erdkunde – Archive for Scientific Geography; Journal of African Economies; Journal of Comparative Economics; Journal of Demographic Economics; Journal of Development Economics; Land Use Policy; The Developing Economies; The Journal of Development Studies
- Hayami Conference 2016, December 2016 (Tokyo).
- The 2nd Hitotsubashi Summer Institute, August 2016 (Tokyo).
- 2016 NOVAFRICA Conference on Economic Development in Africa, July 2016 (Lisbon).
- ASREC (Association for the Study of Religion, Economics, and Culture) Conference, March 2018 (Chapman), 2016 (Chapman) and 2015 (Boston).
- NEUDC (Northeast Universities Development Consortium) Conference, November 2013 (Harvard) and 2011 (Yale).
- PacDev (Pacific Conference for Development Economics), San Francisco State University, March 2013.
- 5th International Conference: Migration & Development (organized by AFD, CGD and the World Bank), AFD, June 2012.
- CSAE (Centre for the Study of African Economies) Conference: Economic Development in Africa, University of Oxford, March 2019, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2011, and 2010.
- The Royal Economic Society Annual Conference, University of London, April 2011.
- 3rd International Conference: Migration & Development (organized by AFD, PSE and the World Bank), Paris School of Economics, September 2010.