Education / Research Experience
|M.A. (International Relations), Graduate School of Arts and Science, University of Tokyo|
|Editorial staff, Information and Publications Department, IDE, 1996-1997|
|Research fellow, Africa Project, Development Studies Department, IDE, 1997-1998|
|Research fellow, Area Studies Department II (Africa), JETRO-IDE, 1998-2001|
|International Affiliate, Department of Political Studies, University of Cape Town, 2001-2003|
|African Studies Group, Area Studies Center, JETRO-IDE, 2003-2017|
|Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, JETRO-IDE, 2017-2018|
|Senior Overseas Research Fellow (Johannesburg), 2018-2019|
|African Studies Group, Area Studies Center, JETRO-IDE, 2019-|
- Social Security Policy Reform in Post-Apartheid South Africa: A Focus on Basic Income Grant , Center for Civil Society Research Report, No.11, Durban: Centre for Civil Society, January 2004.
- "Book Review: Jeremy Seekings and Nicoli Nattrass, Class, Race and Inequality in South Africa, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2005," Developing Economies, vol. 45, no.4, December 2007, pp.509-512.
- The Changing Nature of Employment and the Reform of Labour and Social Security Legislation in Post-Apartheid South Africa , IDE Discussion Paper No.140, Chiba: IDE-JETRO, 2008.
- Shigetomi, Shinichi and Kumiko Makino, eds. Protest and Social Movements in the Developing World . Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar, 2009
- "Institutional Conditions for Social Movements to Engage in Formal Politics: The Case of AIDS Activism in Post-Apartheid South Africa," in Shigetomi, Shinichi and Kumiko Makino, eds. Protest and Social Movements in the Developing World . Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar, 2009, pp. 110-133.
- "The Changing Nature of Employment and the Reform of Labor and Social Security Legislation in Post-Apartheid South Africa," in K. Usami, ed., Non-Standard Employment under Globalization: Flexible Work and Social Security in the Newly Industrializing Countries , Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010, pp. 73-97.
- Makino, Kumiko and Chizuko Sato, eds., Public Policy and Transformation in South Africa after Democratisation , IDE Spot Survey 33, 2013.
- The Anti-Apartheid Movement in Japan: An Overview , IDE Discussion Paper No.440, Chiba: IDE-JETRO, 2014.
- The Framing Discourses of 'Honorary White' in the Anti-Apartheid Movement in Japan , IDE Discussion Paper No.575, Chiba: IDE-JETRO, 2016.
- Between Global Governance and State Sovereignty: A Case Study of HIV/AIDS Policy in South Africa, IDE Discussion Paper No.645, Chiba: IDE-JETRO, 2017.
- "The Anti-apartheid Solidarity Movement in Japan: Actors, Networks and Issues," in South African Democracy Education Trust (SADET), ed., The Road to Democracy in South Africa, Volume 3, International Solidarity Part 3, Pan African University Press and UNISA Press, 2018 (co-authored with Ms Naoko Tsuyama).
- "Travelling for Solidarity: Japanese Activists in the Transnational Anti-apartheid Movemnt," in S. Cornelissen, and Y. Mine, eds., Migration and Agency in a Globalizing World, International Political Economy Series. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2018.
- "Afro-Asian Solidarity and the Anti-Apartheid Movement in Japan," in A. Konieczna and R. Skinner, eds., A Global History of Anti-Apartheid, St Antony's Series. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham, 2019.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japan Association for Comparative Politics
Japan Association of International Relations
Japan Society for International Development