Education / Research Experience
|Department of Economics and Management, Faculty of Economics, Seikei University (B.A., Business Administration), April 1994 - March 1998|
|Department of Social Science, Graduate School, Toyo Eiwa University (M.A., Social Science), October 1998 - September 2000|
|Department of Area Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo (Ph.D. ), April 2001 - March 2004|
|JGB Trading Department, Japan Bond Trading Co, Ltd., April 1998 - June 1998|
|Visiting Scholar, Centre of Asian Studies, The University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong), November 2001 - October 2003|
|Research Assistant, Department of Area Studies, College of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, April 2004 - March 2006|
|Research Associate, Department of Area Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, April 2006 - March 2007|
|Assistant Professor, Department of Area Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, The University of Tokyo, April 2007 - September 2007|
|Research Associate, Security and International Studies Program, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, October 2007 - September 2010|
|Part-time Lecturer (Global economy and Asian corporate management), Graduate School of Economics, Osaka University , April 2008 - September 2009|
|Visiting Scholar, Institute of Taiwan History, Academia Sinica (Republic of China, Taiwan), July 2008 - July 2008|
|Part-time Lecturer (Financial and trading history in Asia), Faculty of Foreign Studies, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, April 2009 -|
|Visiting Scholar, Policy Studies Center, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, October 2010 - March 2011|
|Research Fellow, Business and Industry Studies Group, inter-Disciplinary Studies Center, IDE-JETRO, April 2011 － March 2014|
|Overseas Research Fellow (Hong Kong), IDE-JETRO, April 2014 － April 2016|
|Research Fellow, Business and Industry Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, IDE-JETRO, April 2016 － June 2017|
|Research Fellow, Business and Industry Studies Group, Development Studies Center, IDE-JETRO, July 2016 －|
- "Singapore: 2018", Yearbook of Asian Affairs 2019, IDE-JETRO, 2019.
- "The Southern Warehouse Company Limited during the Japanese Southward Movement: 1920 to 1945", Ajia Keizai Vol.60, No.1, IDE-JETRO, 2019.
- "Singapore: 2017", Yearbook of Asian Affairs 2018, IDE-JETRO, 2018.
- "Singapore: 2016", Yearbook of Asian Affairs 2017, IDE-JETRO, 2017.
- "Singapore: 2015", Yearbook of Asian Affairs 2016, IDE-JETRO, 2016.
- "Business Status of the China and Southern Bank: The Ideal and Reality of Japanese Southward Development in Banking Sector: 1919-1945", Ajia Keizai Vol.56, No.2, IDE-JETRO, 2015.
- "Singapore: 2014", Yearbook of Asian Affairs 2015, IDE-JETRO, 2015.
- "Singapore: 2013", Yearbook of Asian Affairs 2014, IDE-JETRO, 2014.
- "Singapore: 2012", Yearbook of Asian Affairs 2013, IDE-JETRO, 2013.
- "The Development of "Trust Deposit" by the Bank of Taiwan and Its Innovative Impact on the Japanese Banking Industry", Collected Papers of Trust Business Research No.33, Trust Companies Association of Japan, 2012.
- "Hong Kong: The Gateway in the Era of Empires", the University of Nagoya Press, 2012.
- "Singapore: 2011", Yearbook of Asian Affairs 2012, IDE-JETRO, 2012.
- "Hong Kong as an Economic Gateway", Research Institute of Economy Trade and Industry, 2010.
- "Foundation of the China and Southern Bank: The conception and Realization of “Greater Overseas Chinese Bank" under the Japanese Southward Strategy, 1912-1919", Ajia Keizai Vol.51, No.7, IDE-JETRO, 2010.
- "Alternative Remittance System under the Cross-border RMB Circulation: Underground banking between Hong Kong and mainland China", Ajia Keizai Vol.51, No.2, IDE-JETRO, 2010.
- "The Money Laundering Problem in Asia", National Institute for Research Advancement, 2008.
- "The Rise and Fall of the Bank of Canton; Modern Banking Business by Overseas Chinese Capital and Its Limit", Ajia Keizai Vol.49, No.3, IDE-JETRO, 2008.
- "The Life and Time of Wang Tseng-Hsiang; A Critical Biography", Bensei Publishing, 2008.
- "The Role of Native Banks in Hong Kong Dollar Settlement: Case of Export Trade Settlement between Canton and Hong Kong", Ajia Keizai Vol.48, No.3, IDE-JETRO, 2007.
- "Connection Mechanisms for Chinese Remittances: From Singapore to the Pearl River Delta via Hong Kong", Southeast Asian Studies Vol.44, No.2, Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto University, 2006.
- The Establishment of the China and Southern Bank and the Southern Warehouse Company: In Relation to the Bank of Taiwan’s Southward Strategy with Overseas Chinese from the 1910s to the 1920s, IDE Discussion Paper No.688, IDE-JETRO, 2018.
- The Presidents of the Bank of Taiwan and Their Times: Background, Management and Business Development: 1899-1925, IDE Discussion Paper No.648, IDE-JETRO, 2017.
- Chinese Banking Business in Singapore: background and Development in the First Half of the Twentieth Century, So YAMANE & Norihiro NAGANAWA ed., Regional Routes, Regional Roots?: Cross-Border Patterns of Human Mobility in Eurasia, Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University, 2014.
- Tokyo's Changing Role as a Financial Center since the Seventeenth Century, François Gipouloux ed., Gateways To Globalisation: Asia's International Trading and Finance Centres, Edward Elger, U.K., 2011.
- Anti-Money Laundering Policy in Japan: Background and Development in Counter-Terrorist Financing, Handbook for the International Conference on Homeland Security 2011 , Executive Yuan, Republic of China (Taiwan), 2011.
- "Singapore: Politics, Economy and International Relationship", Open Seminar "Situation and Trend of Asian Countries", IDE-JETRO, 2017.
- "Hong Kong: Past, Present and Future of Economic gateway", Open Seminar "Asian Economy from the View of Urban History", Institute of East Asian Studies, Keio University, 2017.
- "The Rise and Fall of the China and Southern Bank: 1912-1945", Workshop "Taiwan and Southeast Asian in Japanese Southward in Pre-War Era", Institute of Taiwan History, Academia Sinica, Republic of China (Taiwan), 2016.
- "How to use the Bank of Taiwan's Historical Materials", Workshop "The Bank of Taiwan's Material Database", Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University, 2015.
- "Rising Chinese Shadow: Social Conflicts in Singapore", Workshop "Changing Japan-Sino Relationship: From Other Regional Perspectives", Aichi University, 2013.
- "Building True Partnership with Developing Countries: Review of Japan’s ODA Experiences", "2012 International Conference on International Development Cooperation and Taiwan Experience", International Cooperation and Development Fund, Republic of China (Taipei), 2012.
- "Anti-money Laundering Policy in Japan: Background and Development in Counter-Terrorist Financing", "International Conference on Homeland Security 2011", Executive Yuan, Republic of China (Taipei), 2011.
- "Essential Matter of Money Laundering Problem: Example of The Present Situation in Southeast Asia", Workshop "Non-Traditional Security Issues in Asia", National Graduate Institute for policy Studies, 2010.
- "Professionals Dialogue" (Presentation as Panelist), "Conference on Anti Money Laundering 2010", Ricky Market Solution Co. Ltd., 2010.
- "Tokyo as an "International Financial Center"?; Past and Present: 1800-2007" (Presentation in English), "La Mediterranee Asiatique : rivalites et complementarites entre centres d’affaires et financiers", Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique（CNRS）, France, 2009.
- "The Rise and Role of Chinese Gold and Silver Exchange Society: Past and Future", the Chinese Gold and Silver Exchange Society, Hong Kong, 2007.
Other Works, Contribution for Mass Media
- "Public security and surveillance system in Singapore "(Recorded Interview), TV Asahi, June 2018.
- "Bookcase: Peh Shing Huei, Neither Civil nor Servant: The Philip Yeo Story", Ajia Keizai Vol.59, No.1, IDE-JETRO, 2018.
- Encyclopedia of Overseas Chinese (Topics about Underground Economy, Biography and Autobiography of Overseas Chinese), Maruzen Publishing, 2017.
- "Adrian Cheng of New World Group, Hong Kong", IDE World Trend No.262, IDE-JETRO, 2017.
- "Parallel Export Trade from Hong Kong to Mainland China and Its Social Impacts in Hong Kong Local Society", IDE World Trend No.239, IDE-JETRO, 2015.
- "At the Backyard of Metropolis-Jungle Trekking in Hong Kong Island (Photo Essay)", IDE World Trend No.237, IDE-JETRO, 2015.
- "Hong Kong", Textbook of Chinese Economic History, the University of Nagoya Press, 2013.
- "Book Review: Shizuya NISHIMURA, Toshio SUZUKI & Ranald MICHIE (eds.) The Origins of International banking in Asia: The Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries", Journal of Political Economy & Economic History, Political Economy & Economic History Society, 2013.
- "Singapore: How to Attract Innovative FDI for Sustainable Economic Development?", SMBC Management Plus – August Edition, SMBC Consulting, 2013.
- "Unification of Asian Market and Overseas Chinese Business Groups: A Case Study of Robert Kuok’s Business", IDE World Trend No.201, IDE-JETRO, 2012.
- "Asian Business Groups and their Ownership Successions", Asia Express, Nikkei-CNBC, July 31 2012.
- "Singapore Banking Industry and its Competitive Power”, Asia Express, Nikkei-CNBC, July 3 2012.
- "How to plan your Investment Strategy through Business History?", Asia Express, Nikkei-CNBC, June 1 2012.
- "Overseas Chinese Business Groups in Asian Economy", Asia Express, Nikkei-CNBC, April 24 2012.
- "Cross-Border Crime and Money Laundering in Global Finance", The Diplomacy, Toshi Shuppan, 2012.
- "Book Review: Naoto KAGOTANI and Kohei WAKIMURA (eds.) Empires and Asian Network", Southeast Asian Studies Vol.48, No.1, Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto University, 2010.
- "Effect of territorial dispute on Japan-Sino economic relationship"(Recorded Interview), Phoenix TV, Hong Kong, October 2010.
- "Book Review: Koji HAYASHI Modern China and the Born of Modern Bank", Ajia Keizai Vol.50, No.10, IDE-JETRO, 2009.
- Dictionary of Modern Asian Issues (Topics about Business Groups and Businessmen in Hong Kong), Bunshindo, 2009.
- "Money Laundering Problem in Asia", Gaiko Forum October 2008, Toshi Shuppan, 2008.
- "How PM Abe’s China visit would effects Japan-Sino relationship?"(Recorded Interview), Phoenix TV, Hong Kong, October 2006.