Education / Research Experience
|Graduated from Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Department of English, 1984|
|MA. in Public Administration, Middle East Technical University, 1991|
|Ph.D. in Political Science, Bilkent University, 2004|
|joined the IDE (Current Affairs Department), 1984|
|Joined the Middle East Project Team of the Development Studies Department, 1987|
|Junior Overseas Reseacher in Ankara, Turkey, 1989-1991|
|Joined the Economic Development Research Department, 1991|
|Joined the Middle East Project Team of the Development Studies Department, 1992|
|Joined the Area Studies Department II, 1998|
|Senior Overseas Researcher in Ankara, Turkey, 1998-1999|
|Associate Senior Research Fellow of the Area Studies Department II, 2001|
|Present position, 2003|
- "Conservatives, nationalists, and incumbent support in Turkey," Turkish Studies
- "Economic and corruption voting in a predominant party system: The case of Turkey," Acta Politica, 53(1), January 2018.
- "Legislative agenda setting by a delegative democracy: omnibus bills in the Turkish parliamentary system," coauthored with Seref Iba, Turkish Studies 18(2), June 2017.
- Political Determinants of Income Inequality in Emerging Democracies , co-authored with Takeshi Kawanaka. Singapore: Springer, 2016
- "Constitutional Review in Turkey: Multilevel Analysis," Sage Research Methods: Cases , 2016.
"Health Reform and Service Satisfaction in the Poor: Turkey 2003-2011," Turkish Studies 16(2), June 2015.
Comparison of Income Level Categories
- "The Making of a State-Centered Public Sphere in Turkey: A Discourse Analysis," Turkish Studies 15(2), June 2014.
- "Non-Economic Voting and Incumbent Strength in Turkey" IDE Discussion Paper Series No.340, March 2012
- "Hegemonic Preservation or Horizontal Accountability: Constitutional Review in Turkey," International Political Science Review , 33(4), September 2012.
- "Determinants of Political Tolerance: A Literature Review" IDE Discussion Paper Series No.288, March 2011.
- "The Making of a State-Centered "Public Sphere" in Turkey: A Discourse Analysis" IDE Discussion Paper Series No.262, November 2010
- "Economic Voting and Electoral Volatility in Turkish Provinces" IDE Discussion Paper Series No.202, May 2009.
- "Constitutional Review and Democratic Consolidation: A Literature Review" IDE Discussion Paper Series No.192, March 2009.
- "The Political Economy of Growth: A Review" IDE Discussion Paper Series No.141, 2008.
- "Parliamentary Questions in Turkey," coauthored with Omer Faruk Genckaya and Selma Genckaya, Journal of Legislative Studies , Vol.13 No.4 December 2007.
- "Public Support for Enlargement: Economic, Cultural, or Normative?" Discussion Paper No. 107, May 2007
- Electoral Volatility in Turkey: Cleavages vs. the Economy, Occasional Papers Series No. 41, Institute of Developing Economies-JETRO, 2007.
- "Democratization and Islamic Movements in Turkey" In Popular Movements and Democratization in the Islamic World, ed. Masatoshi Kisaichi. London: Routledge, 2006.
- "Retrospective Voting in Turkey: Macro and Micro Perspectives", IDE Discussion Paper Series No.46, 2006.
- "Constituency Service in Turkey: A Survey on MPs," European Journal of Turkish Studies , 2005.
- "Social cleavages and Electoral Support in Turkey:Toward convergence?" The Developing Economies , Vol.XLl,No.3 September 2003 (p.383 Erratum)
- Emerging Changes in Turkish Politics and Society , with Servet Mutlu and Cahit Emre, M. E. S. Series No. 48, Institute of Developing Economies-JETRO, 2000.
- Aspects of Democratization in Turkey , with Omer Faruk Genckaya and Rusen Keles, M. E. S. Series No. 46, Institute of Developing Economies-JETRO, 1999.
- "Constitutional Review and the Parliamentary Opposition in Turkey," The Developing Economies , Vol. XXXIV, No. 3, September 1996.
- The Policy Process in Turkish Democracy , with Rusen Keles, J. R. P. Series No. 100, Institute of Developing Economies, 1993.
- "The Politics of Amendment in the Turkish Legislature," The Developing Economies , Vol. XXX, No. 3, September 1992.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japanese Political Science Association