Education / Research Experience
|Master of Public Policy, University of Chicago|
|Ph.D in Economics, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London|
- "Vocational Education and Employment Outcomes in Ethiopia: Displacement Effects in Local Labor Markets,"IDE Discussion Paper, No. 678, Institute of Developing Economies, 2017 (with Tomohiro Machikita).
- "The Consequence of Educational Reform on Youth Employment: Evidence from an Enrollment Increase in Vocational Training in Ethiopia," IDE Discussion Paper, No. 679, Institute of Developing Economies, 2017 (with Tomohiro Machikita).
- "Labor Compliance and Factory Performance: Evidence from the Cambodian Garment Industry," Better Work Discussion Paper, No.23, ILO and IFC 2017. (with Yoko Asuyama, and Raymond Robertson)
- Employment and Wages in Export-Oriented Garment Industry: Recent Trends in Low-income Countries under Trade Liberalization, Background paper to Industrial Development Report 2013, United Nations Industrial Development Organization, 2013 (with Tatsufumi Yamagata).
- "Political Crisis and Suspension of Duty-free Access in Madagascar: Assessment of Impacts on Garment Industry," IDE Discussion Paper, No. 422, Institute of Developing Economies, 2013.
- "Firm Dynamics in the Cambodian Garment Industry: Firm Turnover, Productivity Growth, and Wage Profile under Trade Liberalization" Journal of Asia and Pacific Economy, Vol.18, No.1, pp.51-77, 2013. (with Yoko Asuayama, Dalin Chhun, Seiha Neou and Tatsufumi Yamagata)
- "FDI and Export Participation of Local Firms in Africa: The case of the Kenyan garment industry," IDE Discussion Paper, No. 232, Institute of Developing Economies, 2010.
- “Has Low Productivity Constrained Competitiveness of African Firms?: Comparison of Kenyan and Bangladeshi Garment Firms,” Developing Economies, Vol.47, No.3, 2009.
- The Garment Industry in Low-income Countries: An Entry Point of Industrialization, Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan, 2014 (editor, coedited with Tatsufumi Yamagata).
- Delivering Sustainable Growth in Africa: African Farmers and Firms in a Changing World, Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan, 2014 (editor).
- "The Bangladeshi garment sector in the liberalised market: is upgrading needed?," in Dirk Willem te Velde ed., Enhancing productivity in Bangladesh’s garment sector: Current policy and research debates, DEGRP Policy Essay, DFID-ESRC Growth Programme, 2014.
- "Duty-free Quota-free Access in Madagascar: Consequence of the Abrupt Suspension," in H. Sato and A. Yanai eds., Toward an Inclusive and a Little Bit Ethical Trading System: Listening to the Voices of Producers and Consumers, IDE Policy Proposal Research, Institute of Developing Economies、2014.
- Aid for Trade and Value Chains in Textiles and Apparel, A report presented at the 4th Global Review of Aid for Trade, WTO, Geneva, July, 2013. (with Kenta Goto, Tatsufumi Yamagata, Michael Roberts, Frans Lammersen, Se Eun Park, Conor Trodden, María Alvarez de Cozar, and Gerardo Melogno)
- Industrialization and Poverty Alleviation: Pro-poor industrialization strategies revisited, UNIDO Research Programme Report, United Nation Industrial Organization, 2006 (with Mayumi Murayama, Akio Nishiura and Tatsufumi Yamagata).
- " Bottom Billion by Paul Collier", Developing Economies , Vol.78, No.2
Lecturer, University of Sacred Heart (Development Economics, 2010-17), IDE Advanced School (African Economies, 2012-18), Osaka University (African Economies, 2016), Tokyo Medical and Dental University (African Economies, 2007-9)
Editor / Referee (English journals only)
The Developing Economies (Editor)
World Development, Japanese Economic Review, Journal of Asia and Pacific Economy, JICA Research Institute Working Paper (Referee)
Presentations and Lectures
- African Youth Entrepreneurship Workshop, Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability, United Nations University, Cape Town and Nairobi, 2016
- "Potential and Constraints of Manufacturing Exports" IDE-ODI-AERC Seminar: Industrialization, Private Sector Development and Economic Transformation, Nairobi, 2016
- "Economic Upgrading in Textiles and Apparel Value Chains: Example of Mauritius" WTO Committee on Trade and Development, 31st Dedicated Session on Small Economies, Vienna, 2016
- "Comments on Industrial Development Report," UNIDO Seminar, Tokyo, 2009 and 2016
- "Delivering Sustainable Growth in Africa: Linkage between FDI and Local Economy" Public Lecture by Embassy of Japan, Harare, Kigali, and Nairobi, 2013
- "Political Crisis and Suspension of Duty-free Access in Madagascar" Session: Doha's impacts on LDCs: listening to the voices of producers and consumers, WTO Public Forum, Vienna, 2013
- "Textiles and Apparel Value Chains" Joint WTO and OECD Workshop on the 2013 Aide-for-trade Monitoring and Evaluation Exercise, Vienna, 2013
- "Clothing Exports from sub-Saharan Africa: Impact on Poverty and Potential for Growth" Session: Industrialization in LDC: Possibility and Impact in Poverty in South Asia and Africa, World Bank Annual Bank Conference on Developing Economics, Cape Town, 2008