Fellowships / Job Openings
Job opening for IDE-JETRO Research Fellow for JFY 2022/2023
as of March 17, 2022
Researchers engaging in studies on developing and emerging economies, and international economics.
Positions are in principle offered as tenured. In some cases, positions are offered as tenure-track considering applicant’s experience.
※ A tenure-track position is a three-year, fixed-term contract. The contract may be extended up to two years. Tenure-track researchers will be reviewed annually. A tenure may be offered at the end of the third year if all the reviews are favorable. A researcher receiving reviews with distinction may be offered a tenure during the first three years.
- Applicants must hold a Ph.D. or are expected to receive a Ph.D. by March 2023, in Economics, including Development Economics, International Economics (Trade/Finance), Agricultural Economics, Public Economics, Labor Economics, etc.
- We accept applicants of any nationality.
- You can apply for either one of this position (Development Studies) OR the other position we offer in 2022 in the fields of Area Studies (Economics).
How to apply
1. Registration: All applicants must register online first through the URL below.
2. Documents: All applicants must provide the followings by uploading to WEBCAS.
(1) Curriculum vitae with a recent photograph (Download a template on our website)
(2) Motivation letter (about 600 words).
(3) A list of your academic publications, including books, monographs, research papers, and other works written in English or Japanese.
(4) One copy of the abstracts of major writings (up to three items, about 500 words for each).
(5) A copy of major writings (Ph.D. dissertation or major academic publications including book, book chapter, monograph, research paper, or refereed article in English or Japanese) up to three items.
(6) A letter of recommendation (optional).
※ A copy of the certificate of Doctor's degree will be requested after a job offer is made.
3. Instruction to submit the above documents:
(1) All the documents described above must be submitted as electronic data by uploading to WEBCAS. Please refer to the attached paper “Instruction to upload documents to WEBCAS”.
(2) Confirmation of receiving will be sent within three days from uploading by e-mail.
From 17 March 2022 to 31 July 2022. All applications must be received by 17:00 (GMT+9), 31 July 2022.
※ Selection starts sequentially after we receive applications. Closing date may be changed depending on the progress of selection.
(1) Initial screening: Selection based on submitted materials and major writings.
(2) Final review: A presentation session and the final interview in English or Japanese.
Between 1 October 2022, and 1 April 2023 (negotiable).
Other terms and conditions of employment
- Working hours: Discretionary working schedule system (deemed to work for 8 hours 35 minutes on each day of duty)
- Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, year-end and New Year holidays
- Paid leaves: Annual, Summer, and other miscellaneous leaves specified by the law
- Salary: Determined by age and work experiences as per IDE-JETRO policies
- Social security: Eligible for National Health Insurance, National Unemployment Insurance, Workers’
Compensation insurance, Employee’s Pension Plan, Corporate Pension Fund, a dormitory
for single and family
Please send inquiries to:
IDE-JETRO, Recruitment, Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
Tel: 81-43-299-9528 / Fax: 81-43-299-9724
※ Please note that we cannot answer questions about result of screening.
All documents submitted will be handled in accordance with the relevant laws and JETRO's rules for the protection of personal information and will be used for recruitment purposes only. The information will not be shared with any third party unless it infringes on the relevant laws. All the submitted documents will be demolished after recruitment purposes.