Seminar & Events
WTO Public Forum 2017 "Regulation and policy diffusion of environmental/food safety standards in Asia: Challenges for inclusive trade"
IDE-JETRO jointly organizes a Working Session with UNCTAD at WTO Public Forum 2017. This year's Public Forum will be held from September 26 to 28 under the theme of "Trade: Behind the Headlines".
This session offers information on current available regulatory data for major exporting and importing countries. Then analysis of impacts of regulations on sustainable industrial development in East Asia are presented.
Many Asian countries have adopted regulations similar to the European Union’s policies such as RoHS and REACH chemical regulations as an effort to help domestic SMEs to adopt export market regulations. Policy adoption leads to policy diffusion. Policy diffusion is voluntary regulatory adoption from other jurisdictions without negotiations or international treaties, occurs a result of effort to make trade inclusive both for firms and consumers especially in developing countries. The session discusses two questions. First, whether diffused policy have been successful to make trade inclusive in developing countries. Second, how to coordinate diffused policies so that heterogeneous policy diffusion will not work as trade obstacles for firms and not create pollution havens in countries without regulations.
September 28, 2017 (Thursday) 14:00-15:30 (local time)
Room S3, WTO Headquarter, Geneva
- Kaoru NABESHIMA (Associate Professor, Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies, Waseda University)
- Etsuyo MICHIDA (Associate Senior Research Fellow, Environment and Natural Resource Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, IDE-JETRO)
- Lei LEI (Research Fellow, Global Value Chains Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, IDE-JETRO)
- Ralf PETERS (Chief, Trade Information Section, Trade Analysis Branch, Division on International Trade in Goods and Services and Commodities, UNCTAD)
IDE-JETRO and UNCTAD (co-organizer)
* For more information, please visit:
Institutional Cooperation and Networking Division, Research Planning Department, IDE-JETRO