Policy Research Seminar on Global Value Chains and Standards for Trade in Asia
Date and Time
March 29, 2018. (Thursday) 9:30-12:30
IDE-JETRO, JETRO Colombo, Ministry of Development Strategies and International Trade (MODSIT)
Auditorium, Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka (IPS)
- Chair: Shinya Imaizumi, Chief Senior Researcher, Inter-disciplinary Studies Centre, IDE-JETRO
- Opening Remark: Mangala P. B. Yapa, Technical Advisor to Hon Minister of Development Strategies & International Trade and Member of the Board of Investment, Sri Lanka
- Introduction: Etsuyo Arai, Director, Current Affairs Studies Group, Director Area Studies Centre, IDE- JETRO
- Session 1: Perspectives for Global Value Chain (GVC) Oriented Growth
- Chair: Shinya Imaizumi
- Presentation: "The GVC-led Development Strategy in Asia"
Ikuo Kuroiwa, Chief Senior Researcher, Development Studies Centre, IDE-JETRO
- Presentation: "Enhancing Entrepreneurs for Global Value Chains and Standards for Trade: With Special Reference to Sri Lanka"
Hettige Don Karunaratne, Professor, Department of Business Economics, University of Colombo
Session2: Standard for Trade: Challenges for Asian Countries
- Chair: Jairo Andrés Villamil-Diaz, International Technical Specialist, United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- Presentation: "Trend of the Environment and Food Safety Standards and Challenges for Producers in Asia"
Etsuyo Michida, Environment and Natural Resource Studies Group, Interdisciplinary Studies Centre, IDE-JETRO
- Presentation: "Challenges of Meeting Emerging Food Safety and Other Standards: the Case of Tea Exports from Sri Lanka"
Janaka Wijayasiri, Research Fellow and Head of International Economic Policy Research, IPS
- Presentation: "Dilmah Tea –going beyond the Market Standard to meet Consume Expectations"
Dilhan C. Fernando, CEO, Dilmah Ceylon Tea Co.
- Kazuhiko Obama, Resident Representative of JETRO Colombo