Education / Research Experience
|Bachelor's degree, Faculty of Economics, The University of Tokyo, 1986|
|Master's degree, Department of Economics, National Taiwan University, Taiwan, 1991|
|Ph D., Graduate School of Economics, Kobe University, 2008|
|Economic Cooperation Research Department, IDE, 1986-1989|
|Area Studies Department/Area Studies Department I, IDE, 1993-2001|
|Visiting Scholar, Institute of Sociology, Academia Sinica, Taiwan, 2001-2003|
|Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, IDE, 2003-|
|Director, Business and Industry Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, IDE, 2011.6-2014.3|
|Deputy Director-General, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, 2014.4-2014.6|
|Director-General, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, 2014.7-2019.9|
Varieties and Alternatives of Catching-up: Asian Development in the Context of the 21st Century
(coedited with Hajime SATO), London: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2016
- "Competition and Cooperation among Asian Enterprises in China," China Information, vol. 23, no. 1, 2009
- "Strategic Choices of Convenience Store Chains in China: 7-Eleven and FamilyMart," China Information,
vol. 23, no. 1, 2009
- "Perfecting the Catching-up: The Case of Taiwan's Motorcycle Industry" IDE Discussion Paper Series No.195, 2009
"President Chain Store Corporation's Hsu Chong-Jen: A Case Study of a Salaried Manager in Taiwan"
IDE Discussion Paper Series No.41, 2005
"Democratization and Financial Reform in Taiwan: The Political Economy of Bad-Loan Creation,"
The Developing Economies, Vol. 40 No. 3, September 2002.
- "Taiwan's Multidimensional Transformation in the 1990s: Introduction," The Developing Economies, Vol. 40 No. 3, September 2002.
- "Economic Crisis and Korea/Taiwan," (with Makoto ABE and Mamoru NAGANO) IDE Spot Survey, 1999.
- "The Bicycle Industries in Taiwan and Japan: A Preliminary Study toward Comparison between Taiwanese and Japanese Industrial Development," (with Lu-Lin CHENG) IDE Joint Research Program Series, No. 124, 1998.
- "Diverging Development Paths of the Electronics Industry in Korea and Taiwan," The Developing Economies, Vol. 35 No. 4, December 1997.
- "A Comparative Study of Development Mechanisms in Korea and Taiwan: Introductory Analysis," (with Tamio HATTORI) The Developing Economies, Vol. 35 No. 4, December 1997.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japan Association for Asian Studies, Japan Association for Taiwan Studies, Japan
Association for Modern China Studies, Taiwan Economic Association, Taiwanese