Seminar & Events
Working Session at the WTO Public Forum 2018: "Who Should Control Technology Transfer for Trade and Economic Growth?: Global Economic Integration and Industrial Policy in Emerging Asia"
IDE-JETRO jointly organizes a working session with Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) at the WTO Public Forum 2018. This year’s Public Forum will be held from October 2 to 4 under the theme of "Trade 2030".
The model for industrial development through technology transfer and trade is changing. Traditionally developing countries set up open and free environment for foreign investment and firms in advanced economies made their own investment decisions based on the local skills level and local infrastructure. This allowed developing countries to receive technologies appropriate to market condition and their development stage, and upgrade their industries on a step by step basis.
However, these days developing countries are more inclined to leap-frog the industrial development stages by proactively selecting cutting-edge technologies in their industrial policies. Such a leap-frog approach causes controversies: some argue that such policies lead to the technology choice which disregards the local absorptive capacity. Others argue that such policies actually help accelerate local industry development.
This session aims at stimulating thoughts among audience about mutually acceptable rules and trading system surrounding technology transfer.
October 4, 2018 (Thursday) 14:00-15:30 (local time)
Room S1, WTO Headquarter, Geneva
- Fukunari Kimura – Chief Economist, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) and Professor, Faculty of Economics, Keio University
- Ram Upendra Das – Head & Professor, Centre for Regional Trade (CRT), Centre for Research on International Trade (CRIT), Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India
- Chawalit Jeenanunta – Associate Professor, Assistant Director for Building, Ground, and Properties, Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology, Thammasat University
- Tomohiro Machikita – Associate Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization (IDE-JETRO)
- Yasushi Ueki－Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization (IDE-JETRO)
Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization
Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia
For more information, please visit:
Institutional Cooperation and Networking Division, Research planning Department, IDE-JETRO