Seminars & Events
IDE School on Urban and Regional Economics in Developing Countries for Young Economists
@IDE-JETRO, May 28-30, 2018
May 28. (Monday) - 30. (Wednesday), 2018
- Each day starts with lectures followed by participants’ paper presentations/discussions except for the third day.
- There are fourteen (14) slots for participants’ presentation. Each presentation will last 20 minutes with 10 minutes time for discussion.
- Each day has lunch. We also cordially invite all participants to a welcome dinner in the first day.
- We welcome and encourage applications from scholars within five years from their completion of the Ph.D. program and Economics Ph.D. candidates in the fields of urban and regional economics as well as all other applied econ fields such as development, public, trade, and labor.
- To apply the IDE School, please send the following items to ide_school by 15 February, 2018 (JST). Kindly noted that no later application will be considered.
- One-page (A4) description about your representative research topics.
- An extended abstract of your paper, or preferably the full paper (only if you wish to present a paper at the school)
- Please ask one of your academic advisors to send a short reference that endorses your participation in the school and describes how it relates to your research interests or dissertation plans if you’re a PhD students. The reference needs to reach IDE no later than 15 February 2018 (JST) via e-mail to ide_school If the reference fails to reach by the date shown above, the application will be automatically turned down.
- Successful applicants will be notified by March 16, 2018 (JST).
There is a registration fee of 450 US dollars or 50,000 Japanese yen that covers all lecture materials, accommodation (up to 3 nights), all working lunches, coffee breaks, and one dinner in the first day indicated at the timetable. The registration fee is NOT refundable once participants make a payment. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide financial support for travel expenses, all participants need to prepare their flight ticket and other necessary transportation by themselves. If successful candidates would need a visa for entering Japan, we issue an invitation letter necessary for your temporary immigration procedure at the embassy of Japan in your country.
- Deadline for applications: February 15, 2018
- Notification of successful applicants: March 16, 2018
- Deadline for school registration: April 20, 2018
- Masahisa Fujita (Konan University)
- Vernon Henderson (London School of Economics and Political Science) (TBC)
- Hitoshi Sato (IDE-JETRO)
- Takatoshi Tabuchi (University of Tokyo)
- Jacques-François Thisse (IDE-JETRO and Université Catholique de Louvain)
Lecture 1 'Lecture title TBD'
Jacques-François Thisse (Chair : Hitoshi Sato)
Participants' Presentation I
Chair: Jacques-François Thisse
Lecture 2 'Lecture title TBD'
Gilles Duranton(Chair：Jacques-François Thisse)
Participants' Presentation II
Chair: Gilles Duranton
Lecture 3 'Lecture title TBD'
(Chair : TBD)
Participants' Presentation III
Chair: Yoshihiro Hashiguchi
Lecture 4 'Lecture title TBD'
Diego Puga(Chair : Yoshihiro Hashiguchi )
Participants' Presentation IV
*Please note that the lecture slot is the subject of modification.
The Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO
3-2-2, Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba Japan 261-8545
Hotel Springs Makuhari: 5 minutes walking distance from IDE building.
Participants stay rooms with single occupancy, complimentary breakfast, bath/toilet, desks and chairs.