Deputy Director, Latin American Studies Group, Area Studies Center
International Relations, Politics: Area of Study, Latin America and the Caribbean (Cuba)
Education / Research Experience
|B.A. in Law, Waseda University, 1986|
|M.A. in International Relations, University of Chicago, 1989|
|Started to work at Institute of Developing Economies (Latin American Studies), 1989|
|Sent to Cuba. Visiting Researcher at Center for Studies on Asia and Oceania (Centro de Estudios sobre Asia y Oceanía: CEAO), Havana, 1994-1996|
|Returned to the Institute of Developing Economies (Latin American Studies), 1996-|
|Sent to USA. Visiting Scholar at David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies (DRCLAS), Harvard University (until June 2006), Associate at Program of U.S.-Japan Relations, Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University (until August 2007.) , 2005-2007|
|Deputy Director, Latin American Studies Group, 2012-|
- "Japan's Relations with Latin America and the Caribbean: Broad Changes under Globalization," Jorge I. Domínguez and Ana Cavarrubias, eds., Routledge Handbook of Latin America in the World, 2015.
- "The Feasibility of Cuban Market Economy: A Comparison with Vietnam," IDE Discussion Paper No.189, 2009.
- "Comparison of Two Remaining Socialist Countries - Cuba and Vietnam: Possibility of Economic Reform in a Socialist Society and Its Possible Impact," USJP Working Paper 07-15, Program of U.S.-Japan Relations of Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, Harvard University, 2007.
- "Has Socialism Contributed to Gender Roles Changes? : A Comparison of Gender Roles in Cuba and Japan," Mayumi Murayama ed., Gender and Development: The Japanese Experience in Comparative Perspective, London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005.
- "Cuba's Social Policy After the Disintegration of the Soviet Union: Social Development as Legitimacy of the Regime and Its Economic Effectiveness," Developing Economies, Vol.42, No.2, June 2004.
- The United States and Reinsertion to International Economy of Cuba: Triangular Analysis, Co-Author with Esteban Morales Domínguez and Carlos Batista Odio, Joint Research Program Series No.126, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE), 1999.
- Cuba's Survival: Socialism with Reality, IDE Spot Survey, Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies (IDE), 1997. (Executive Summary Only)
- "Cuban-Japanese Relations in Japanese Perspective: Economic Pragmatism and Political Distance," Donna Rich Kaplowitz, ed., Cuba's Ties to a Changing World, Boulder: Lynne Rienner, 1993.
- Costa Rica at Crossroads, (editor), IDE Selected Book Series No.36, Institute of Developing Economies, 2014.
- Cuba at Crossroads, (editor), Iwanami Shoten, 2012.
- "State Role for Social Protection System for Eldery People in Cuba," Koochi Usami ed., Social Protection System for Eldery People and Critical Social Gerontology (Shinko Shokoku ni okeru Koreisha Seikatsu-Hosho Seido: Hihanteki Shakai Ronengaku karano Sekkin), Chapter 4, Institute of Developing Economies, 2011.
- "Cuban Revolutionary Government: Orthodox Leftist Regime," Shigeo Osonoi and Koichi Usami eds., Latin American Leftist Governments at the Dawn of the 21st Century: Illusions and Realites, IDE, 2008.
- "Cuba's Social Assistance: Softening of the Government's Policy for an Egalitarian Society," Koichi Usami ed., Social Protection Systems in Newly Industrializing Countries in the 21st Century, Institute of Developing Economies, 2005.
- "United States Economic Sanctions against Cuba: Empirical Analysis of Discussions among Legislative and Administrative Actors on the Helms-Burton Act and Its Following Bills," Ajia Keizai, Vol.XLI, No.9, September 2000.
- "Structure and Future of Cuban Political Regime: 'Democracy' in Cuba and Latin America," Latin America Report, Vol.15, No.2, 1998.
- "Regional Integration of the Caribbean," Nobuaki Hamaguchi ed., Internationalization and Regional Integration of Latin America, Institute of Developing Economies, 1998.
Membership of Academic SocietiesLatin American Studies Association (LASA, USA), Japan Association for Latin American Studies, Japan Society of Social Science on Latin America, Japan Association of Comparative Politics.
Other informationI am currently doing research on Castro Regime's Power Structure at David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies, Harvard University. If possible, I would like to study the case of Vietnam to compare with Cuban regime.