Senior Overseas Research Fellow (Berkeley)
Environmental problems in developing countries, Trade and the environment, Standards and trade, Product-related environmental regulations, Globalization and developing countries, Supply chains
Education / Research Experience
|M.A. in Economics (the University of Western Ontario, Canada), 1997|
|Ph.D. in Economics (Kobe University, JAPAN), 2006|
|Joined the IDE, 2001|
|Research Fellow in the United Nations Industrial Development Organization(UNIDO), 2004-2006|
|Berkeley, Senior Overseas Research Fellow, 2015-|
Publications (please see Japanese page for my publications in Japanese.)
- International Trade in Recyclable and Hazardous Waste in Asia, (co-edited with Michikazu Kojima), Chiba, IDE, 2013.
- Meeting Standards, Winning Markets: Regional Trade Standards Compliance Report East Asia 2013, (contributed as a member of the IDE research team), IDE-JETRO and UNIDO.
- “Trade and Environment,” (with Michikazu Kojima) in M. Fujita, I. Kuroiwa, and S. Kumagai (ed.) The Economics of East Asian Integration: A Comprehensive Introduction to Regional Issues, Edward Elgar, 2011
- "North-South Trade and Industry-Specific Pollutants," (with Koji Nishikimi), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Vol 54, 2 pp 229-243, 2007.
Recent discussion papers
- “Impact of product-related environmental regulations in Asia: Descriptive statistics from a survey of firms in Vietnam, “ (with Kaoru Nabeshima and Yasushi Ueki), IDE Discussion Paper No. 466、2014
- “Impact of product-related environmental regulations in Asia: Descriptive statistics from a survey of firms in Penang, Malaysia,” (with Yasushi Ueki and Kaoru Nabeshima), IDE Discussion Paper No. 457, 2014.
- “Product-related environmental regulation and voluntary environmental actions: Impacts of RoHS and REACH in Malaysia,” (with T.H. Arimura and H. Iguchi), IDE Discussion Paper No. 454, 2014.
- “Estimating the effect of chemical safety standards on firm performance in Malaysia and Vietnam,” (with Tsunehiro Otsuki, Kaoru Nabeshima and Yasushi Ueki), IDE Discussion Paper No. 455, 2014.
- “Impact on Asian firms of product-related environmental regulations through global supply chains: A study of firms in Malaysia,” (with Yasushi Ueki and Kaoru Nabeshima), IDE Discussion Paper No.453, 2014.
- “Role of laboratories for adapting product-related environmental regulations (PRERs),” (with Chen Sau Soon, Mohd Helme bin Mohd Helan, Zanariah Ujang, and Kaoru Nabeshima), IDE Discussion Paper No.452, 2014.
- “The policy impact of product-related environmental regulations in Asia,” IDE Discussion Paper No.451, 2014.
- “Impact of product-related environmental regulations/voluntary requirements on Thai firms,” (with Nudjarin Ramungul and Kaoru Nabeshima), IDE Discussion Paper No. 383, 2013.
- ”Role of supply chains in adopting product related environmental regulations: case studies of Vietnam,”(with Kaoru Nabeshima), IDE Discussion Paper No. 343, 2012.
- IDE Policy Brief No.9 “Impact of chemical-related PRERs on firms in Vietnam”
- IDE Policy Brief No.8 “Impact of chemical-related PRERs on firms in Malaysia”
- IDE Policy Brief No.7 “Impact of product-related environmental regulations on policies in Asia”
- IDE Policy Brief No.6 “Trade standards compliance capacities in Vietnam”
- IDE Policy Brief No.5 “Trade standards compliance capacity in China”
- IDE Policy Brief No.4 “Trade standards compliance capacities in East Asia”
- “Compliance through Supply Chains: Comparing Food and Manufacturing Sectors” in Bali Trade and Development Symposium (Side Event of WTO the 9th Ministerial Conference), Bali, Indonesia、2013.
- “The Impact of Product-Related Environmental Regulations on Asian Policies”, seminar in Environment Directorate, Agriculture and Trade Directorate, OECD, Paris, 2013.
- ”Impacts of Product-Related Chemical Regulations on Firms through Supply Chains”, The 17th Meeting of AMEICC（AEM-METI ECONOMIC AND INDUSTRIAL COOPERATION COMMITTEE） Working Group on Chemical Industry (WG-CI), 2012.
- ”Are there win-win opportunities in developing countries?”, Environmental and Resource Economists, 3rd World Congress in Kyoto, Japan.
- ”Management for a variety of pollution and North-South Trade”, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 14th Annual Conference in Bremen, Germany, 2005.
- Consultant in the United Nations Industrial Development Organization, Vienna and Indonesia from 2004-2006
- Lecturer in Institute of Developing Economies Advanced School（2009-present）