Education / Research Experience
|DPhil in Economics, University of Oxford, UK, 2011|
|MPhil in Economics, University of Oxford, UK, 2009|
|MSc in Economics, London School of Economics(LSE), UK, 2006|
|Postgraduate Diploma in Development Studies, Institute of Developing Economies Advanced School (IDEAS), Japan, 2005|
|BA in Business and Commerce, Keio University, Japan, 1999|
|Qualified to be Japan’s Certified Public Accountant (CPA), 2002|
|Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE-JETRO), Jan 2011-|
|Statutory Auditor/ IPO Consultant, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, Japan, 1999-2004|
- "Can Solar Lanterns Improve Youth Academic Performance? Experimental Evidence from Bangladesh," with Abu S. Shonchoy and Kazushi Takahashi, World Bank Economic Review, forthcoming (Awarded the Albert Berry Prize 2016 by the Canadian Development Economics Study Group at the 2016 CEA Annual Conference).
- "Missionary Influence on Marriage Practices: Evidence from the Livingstonia Mission in Malawi," Journal of African Economies, forthcoming.
- "Female Migration for Marriage: Implications from the Land Reform in Rural Tanzania," World Development, January 2015, Vol. 65, pp. 41-61. (221KB)
Working Papers and Work in Progress
- "Female Genital Cutting, Marriage, and Sexual behavior in Africa," (in progress).
- "Short-term Impacts of Solar Lanterns on Child Health: Experimental Evidence from Bangladesh," (with Abu S. Shonchoy and Kazushi Takahashi) Discussion Paper No.646, March 2017
- "Why Is the Practice of Levirate Marriage Disappearing in Africa? HIV/AIDS as an Agent of Institutional Change," Discussion Paper No.627, January 2017.
- "Malaria Infection and Infant Mortality during the War: Evidence from Liberia," (3.13MB) (An earlier version is Discussion Paper No. 556, February 2016).
- "Stigma, Social Relationship and HIV Testing in the Workplace: Evidence from South Africa," (with Yutaka Arimoto, Seiro Ito, and Kazunari Tsukada) Discussion Paper No.386, February 2013.
- Impacts of an HIV Counselling and Testing Initiative: Results from an Experimental Intervention in South Africa," (with Yutaka Arimoto, Narumi Hori, Seiro Ito, and Kazunari Tsukada) CEI Working Paper Series No. 2011-13, March 2012.
- "Returns to Migration：The Role of Educational Attainment in Rural Tanzania," Discussion Paper No.322, February 2012.
- Hayami Conference 2016, December 2016 (Tokyo).
- The 2nd Hitotsubashi Summer Institute, August 2016 (Tokyo).
- 2016 NOVAFRICA Conference on Economic Development in Africa, July 2016 (Lisbon).
- ASREC (Association for the Study of Religion, Economics, and Culture) Conference, March 2016 (Chapman) and 2015 (Boston).
- NEUDC (Northeast Universities Development Consortium) Conference, November 2013 (Harvard) and 2011 (Yale).
- PacDev (Pacific Conference for Development Economics), San Francisco State University, March 2013.
- 5th International Conference: Migration & Development (organized by AFD, CGD and the World Bank), AFD, June 2012.
- CSAE (Centre for the Study of African Economies) Conference: Economic Development in Africa, University of Oxford, March 2017, 2016, 2014, 2012, 2011, and 2010.
- The Royal Economic Society Annual Conference, University of London, April 2011.
- 3rd International Conference: Migration & Development (organized by AFD, PSE and the World Bank), Paris School of Economics, September 2010.