Southeast Asian Studies Group I, Area Studies Center
Indonesian Politics, Comparative Politics
Education / Research Experience
|B.A. in Political Science, School of Political Science and Economics, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, 1993|
|M.A. in International Affairs, Elliott School of International Affairs, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C., USA, 1995|
|Ph.D. candidate, Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies, Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan, 2000-|
|Research Fellow, Department of Current Affairs, IDE, 1996|
|Research Fellow, Department of Area Studies I, IDE, 1998|
|Visiting Research Fellow, Center for Asia Pacific Studies, Gadjah Mada University, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 2002-2004|
|Research Fellow, Research and Coordination Division, Research Planning Department, IDE, 2005-2006|
|Present Position, 2006|
- “President Restrained: Effects of Parliamentary Rule and Coalition Government on Indonesia’s Presidentialism,” in Yuko Kasuya ed., Presidents, Assemblies and Policy-making in Asia. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2013: 156-193.
- “Presidentialism and Political Parties in Indonesia: Why Are All Parties Not Presidentialized?” IDE Discussion Paper No.409, March 2013.
- “Consensus and Democracy in Indonesia: Musyawarah-Mufakat Revisited,” IDE Discussion Paper No.308, September 2011.
- “Is the Indonesian President Strong or Weak?” IDE Discussion Paper No.235, May 2010.
- “Indonesia's Development Policy in Historical Perspective,” Background Paper No.2 for the JICA-IDE Joint Workshop on Indonesia's Development Strategy and Future Direction of JICA's Assistance in Indonesia. Jakarta, Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2008.
- “Politics of the 1945 Constitution: Democratization and Its Impact on Political Institutions in Indonesia,” I.D.E. Research Papers No.3, September 2003.
- "Toward a Modern Constitution: The Second Amendment of the 1945 Constitution," Ajiken World Trend No. 63 (2001)
- "Political Reform in the Post-Soeharto Era," in Yuri Sato, ed., Indonesia Entering a New Era: Abdurrahman Wahid Government and Its Challenge. IDE Sport Survey No.17, Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies, 2000.
Membership of Academic SocietiesJapan Association for Asian Studies
Japan Association for Comparative Politics