Executive Vice President
Area Studies, Economy, Industry and Business in Indonesia
Education / Research Experience
|Graduated from Sophia University (Faculty of Foreign Studies), 1981|
|Completed the master course (Master of Economics), University of Indonesia, 1989|
|Completed the doctoral course (Doctor of Economics), University of Indonesia, 2001|
|Joined the IDE taking charge of Indonesia, 1981|
|Overseas research fellow in Jakarta for research of local large business, 1985-1987|
|Overseas research fellow in Jakarta for research of inter-firm linkages between large and small-and-medium business, 1996-1999|
|Special advisor for KADIN Indonesia in Jakarta, 2008-2010|
|Director-General, Area Studies Center, 2012-2014|
|Chief Senior Researcher, Area Studies Center, 2014-2015|
|Executive Vice President, 2015-present|
|Lecturer, Tsuda College (Southeast Asian Studies: Economy), 1994|
|Lecturer, Hosei University (International Management), 1994-1996|
|Member, MITI Study Group on Indonesian SME Promotion Policy (“Urata Report”), 2000|
|Member, MOF Study Group on Indonesia, 2001, 2004-2007|
|Member, MOFA Core Team of Formulating Japan’s Country Assistance Strategy (CAS) for Indonesia, 2003-2004|
|Member, CGI Drafting Team for Policy Recommendation to the Government of Indonesia, 2004|
|Lecturer, Waseda University (Southeast Asia Area Study), 2004|
|Lecturer, Asia University (Developing Countries Economy), 2004|
|Head, JICA Study for Formulating New JICA’s Country Assistance Program for Indonesia, 2007|
|Advisor, MOFA Evaluation Committee of Japan’s CAS for Indonesia, 2007-2008|
|Lecturer, Waseda University Graduate School (Southeast Asian Economy), 2007- 2014|
|Member, KADIN Drafting Team for Policy Recommendation to the Government of Indonesia, 2009|
|Director, Japan Indonesia Association Inc. (Japinda), 2012 - present|
|Member, ASEAN-Japan Strategic Partnership Study Group on ASEAN Economic Community, 2012-2013|
|Chair, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Study Meeting on Export Strategy (Indonesia), 2012-2013|
|Director, Institute for International Studies and Training (IIST), 2013 - present
Member, MOFA Panel of Experts on 50th Anniversary of Japan’s Accession to OECD, 2013
|Member, MOFA Panel of Experts on Revision of the ODA Charter, 2014|
|Director, Japan Association for Asian Studies (JAAS), 2015 - present|
|Member, METI Industrial Structure Council, Subcommittee on Unfair Trade Policies and Measures, 2015 - present|
Awards and Honors:
|The 24th Grand Prix Asia Pacific Awards from the Asian Affairs Research Council, Japan, 2012
The 16th Okita Memorial Prize for International Development Research from the Foundation for Advanced Studies on International Development (FASID), Japan, 2012 (both for Keizai Taikoku Indonesia: 21 Seiki no Seicho Joken〈An Economic Giant Indonesia: Conditions for Growth in the 21th Century〉, Chuko Shinsho, 2011)
Major Works in English
- "Curse or Opportunity? A Model of Industrial Development for Natural Resource—Rich Countries on the Basis of Southeast Asian Experiences", in Y.Sato and H.Sato eds. Varieties and Alternatives of Catching-up: Asian Development in the context of the 21st Century, Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
- "Survey of Recent Developments" (with Arie Damayanti) Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, 51(2): 165-188, 2015.
- "Development of Small and Medium Enterprises in the ASEAN Economies", in R.Sukma and Y.Soeya eds. Beyond 2015: ASEAN-Japan Strategic Partnership for Democracy, Peace, and Prosperity in Southeast Asia, Tokyo: Japan Center for International Exchange, 2013.
- "Local Firms' Capability Development in Captive Value Chains: Evidence from the Indonesian Motorcycle Industry", in M.Kawakami and T.J.Sturgeon eds. The Dynamics of Local Learning in Global Value Chains, Palgrave MacMillan, 2011.
- "Capability Matrix: A Framework for Analyzing Capabilities in Value Chains" (with M. Fujita), IDE Discussion Paper No.219, 2009.
- "Asian Industrial Development from Perspective of Motorcycle Industry" (with M.Ohara), IDE Discussion Paper No.182, 2008.
- "Socioeconomic Study for Assisting Formulation of New JICA's Country Assistance Strategy for Indonesia: Executive Summary", Background Paper No.1, JICA-IDE Joint Workshop on Indonesia's Development Strategy and Future Direction of JICA's Assistance in Indonesia, Jakarta: JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency), 2008.
- "Outlook on Indonesia's Development and Graduation from ODA", Background Paper No.3, Jakarta: JICA, 2008.
- "Special Issue: Experiments in Institutional Reform in the Post-Crisis Indonesian Economy: Lessons and Challenges for the New Government", The Developing Economies, Vol.XLIII, No.1, Mar.2005.
- "Corporate Ownership and Management in Indonesia: Does It Change?", in M.C. Basri and P.van der Eng eds. Business in Indonesia: New Challenges and Old Problems, Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies(ISEAS), 2004.
- "The Decline of Conglomerates in Post-Soeharto Indonesia: The Case of Salim Group", Taiwan Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, Vol.1, No.1, March 2004.
- Corporate Governance in Indonesia: A Study on Governance of Business Groups", in Y.Shimomura ed. The Role of Governance in Asia, Singapore: ISEAS, 2003. (254KB)
- "Post-Crisis Economic Reform in Indonesia: Policy for Intervening in Ownership in Historical Perspective", IDE Research Paper No.4, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies (IDE), Sep.2003.
- "Democratizing Indonesia: Reformasi Period in Historical Perspective", IDE Research Paper No.1, Chiba: IDE, Aug.2003.
- "Structure, Features and Determinants of Vertical Inter-Firm Linkages in Indonesia", unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Indonesia, 2001. (Abstract)
- "How Did the Crisis Affect SMEs? From Field Study of Metal-Working Industry in Java", in "Special Issue: Indonesia's Industrialization: Economic Crisis and Beyond", The Developing Economies, Vol.XXXVIII, No.4, Dec.2000.
- "Linkage Formation by Small Firms : The Case of a Rural Cluster in Indonesia", Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Vol.36 No.1, Apr.2000.
- Indonesia Entering a New Era : Abdurrahman Wahid Government and Its Challenge, (ed.), Chiba: IDE, 1999.
- "The transfer of Japanese Management Technology to Indonesia", in H.Hill and Thee K.W. eds. Indonesia's Technological Challenge, Singapore: ISEAS, 1998.
- Changing Industrial Structures and Business Strategies in Indonesia, (ed.), Tokyo: IDE, 1998.
- Waves of Change in Indonesia's Manufacturing Industry, (eds. with Mari Pangestu), Tokyo: IDE, 1997.
- "The Astra Group: A Pioneer of Management Modernization in Indonesia", The Developing Economies, Vol.XXXIV, No.3, Sep. 1996.
- "The Development of Business Groups in Indonesia: 1967-1989", T.Shiraishi ed. Approaching Suharto's Indonesia From the Margins, Cornell University, 1994.
- "The Salim Group in Indonesia: The Development and Behavior of the Largest Conglomerate in Southeast Asia", The Developing Economies, Vol.XXXI, No.4, Dec.1993.
Membership of Academic SocietiesJapan Association of Asian Studies, Japan Society for Southeast Asian Studies, Japan Academy of International Business Studies, Academy of International Business