Education / Research Experience
|Post-doctoral fellow at the Economic Growth Center, Yale University, 1979|
|Instructor of economics, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1980|
|Associate professor of economics, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1981|
|Professor of economics, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 1991|
|Visiting scientist of International Rice Research Institute, Philippines, 1986 -1989|
|Visiting research fellow of International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, DC, 1993 -1998|
|Professorial Fellow at the Foundation for Advanced Studies on International Development, 2001|
|Program Director, Fasid Joint Graduate Program, Professor of GRIPS, 2003|
|Professor of GRIPS, 2010|
|Senior Professor of GRIPS, 2014|
|Lead Researcher, World Bank, 2011-2012|
|Chief Senior Researcher at IDE-JETRO, Professor at Kobe University Center for Social Systems Innovation, 2016-|
- "Induced Bias of Technical Change in Agriculture: The United States and Japan, 1880-1980." Journal of Political Economy 94(3), June 1986, pp. 523-44 (with Toshihiko Kawagoe and Yujiro Hayami).
- "Land and Labor Contracts in Agrarian Economies: Theories and Facts." Journal of Economic Literature 30(4), December 1992, pp. 1965-2018 (with Hiroyuki Chuma and Yujiro Hayami).
- "Population, Land Tenure, and Natural Resource Management: The Case of Customary Land Areas in Malawi." Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 41(1), January 2001, pp. 13-32 (with Frank Place).
- "Food Insecurity, Income Inequality, and the Changing Comparative Advantage in World Agriculture." Agricultural Economics , November 2013, 44(S1), pp. 7-18.
- State Building and Development, London, UK: Routledge, 2014 (edited with Takashi Shiraishi).
- Cluster-based Industrial Developments: Kaizen Management for MSE Growth in Developing Countries, Hampshire, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014 (coauthored with Tetsushi Sonobe).
- Moving out of Poverty: An Inquiry into Inclusive Growth in Asia, London, UK: Routledge, 2015 (coauthored with Jonna P. Estudillo).
- In Pursuit of an African Green Revolution: Views from Rice and Maize Farmers’ Fields. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer, 2016 (edited with Donald F. Larson).
1995 The Nikkei Outstanding Book Publication Award by the Japan Economic Journal (Nikkei Newspaper)
1999 The Best Journal Article Award by the Agricultural Economics Society of Japan
2004 Okita Policy Research Award by the National Institute for Research Advancement
2004 The Nikkei Outstanding Book Publication Award by the Japan Economic Journal (Nikkei Newspaper)
2010 Purple Ribbon Medal presented by the Government of Japan
Other notable activities
2002-2007 A member of the board of trustees (BOT) of the International Rice Research Institute(IRRI)
2004-2007 Chairman of BOT of IRRI
2008-2010 Senior Adviser to the Director General of IRRI
2003-2006 Vice President of the International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE)
2006-2009 President-Elect of IAAE
2009-2012 President of IAAE
2012-2015 Past President of IAAE
2003-2016 Associate Editor of Economic Development and Cultural Change
2008-2013 Member of Editorial Board of Environment and Development Economics
2013-2018 Member of Advisory Board of Agricultural Economics
2013- Member of Editorial Board of Asian Development Review
2015-2017 Editor of Global Food Security