Overseas Research Fellow (Washington, D.C.)
Middle East Politics; Egyptian Politics; Comparative Politics
Education / Research Experience
|Graduated from Damascus University, Department of English Literature, October 2002|
|MA. in Peace and Conflict Studies, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, March 2006|
|Ph.D. in Area and Cultural Studies, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, March 2010|
|Research Fellow, Peace and Conflict Studies, Graduate School of Global Studies, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, April 2010-March 2011|
|Research Fellow, Middle Eastern Studies Group, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE-JETRO), April 2011-|
- "Regime Survival Strategies and the Conduct of Foreign Policy in Egypt," March 2015, Middle East Review of IDE-JETRO, Vol. 2: 43-64.
- “Sisi’s Road to Power,” Column, July 2014, The Graduate Research Institute for Policy Studies (GRIPS).
- “Survival, Triumph, and Fall: The Political Transformation of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt,” in Between Dissent and Power: The Transformation of Islamic Politics in the Middle East and Asia, ed. Khoo Boo Teik, Vedi R. Hadiz and Yoshihiro Nakanishi (New York: Palgrave-Macmillan, 2014), 108-133.
- “Trajectories and Outcomes of the ‘Arab Spring’: Comparing Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Syria,” Discussion Paper No. 456, 2014.
- “Deciphering Syria’s Power Dynamics and Protracted Conflict,” in The Middle East Turmoil and Japanese Response: For a Sustainable Regional Peacekeeping System, ed. Hitoshi Suzuki (Chiba, Japan: Institute of Developing Economies, 2013), 166-190.
- “From Authoritarianism to Upheaval: the Political Economy of the Syrian Uprising and Regime Persistence, Discussion Paper No. 389, 2013.
- “Syria and the Arab Spring: Unraveling the Road to Syria’s Protracted Conflict,” January 2013, Issue Briefs (The Asan Institute for Policy Studies)
- "Ejiputo ni okeru minshuu undou to seiji shakai no saikouchiku (People’s Movements and the Reconstruction of the Political Society in Egypt)," Gendai Shisou (Contemporary Thought), 39-4-, pp.108-117, March 2011.
- "Electoral Politics and Party System in Egypt (1952-2005)," Gengo Chiiki Bunka Kenkyu (Journal of Language/Area and Cultural Studies), Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, No. 16, pp. 285-330, March 2010.
- "Political Activism under Mubarak’s Electoral Engineering in the 1980s," Nihon Chuto Gakkai Nenpo (Annals of Japan Association for Middle East Studies), No. 24−1, pp. 229−267, September 2008.
- "Mubarak and the Muslim Brotherhood. The Challenge of a Rising Political Force (1981-2005)," Gengo Chiiki Bunka Kenkyu (Journal of Language/Area and Cultural Studies), Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, No. 14, pp. 119-152 March 2008.
Membership of Academic SocietiesJapan Association for Middle East Studies, Japanese Association of International Relations