Education / Research Experience
|B.A. Oriental History, University of Tokyo, 2004|
|M.A. Asian Studies (South and Southeast Asian History and Society), University of Tokyo, 2006|
|Ph.D. Asian Studies (South and Southeast Asian History and Society), University of Tokyo, 2013|
|Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (DC2), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (The University of Tokyo), 2009-2011|
|Intelligence and Analysis Service, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2011-2012|
|part-time instructor, Faculty of Letters (Asian History), Keio University, 2012-2014|
|Research Associate, Area Studies Center (Current Affairs Studies Group), Institute of Developing Economies, 2013-2015|
|part-time instructor, Faculty of Foreign Studies (Burmese), Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, 2013-today|
|part-time instructor, School of Letters (Asian Civilization), Tokai University, 2014-2015|
|Research Fellow, Area Studies Center (Current Affairs Studies Group), Institute of Developing Economies, 2015-today|
- The Border in Embryo: Immigration and Urban Governance in Colonial Rangoon, Yamakawa-Shuppansha Ltd., 2016 (in Japanese).
- "A Note on the Decolonization Process of Rangoon, Burma, with a Focus on the Population and the Chinatown's Landuse" The Journal of Tokyo Keizai University 297, 2018 (in Japanese).
- "Housing the Rangoon Poor: Indians, Burmese, and Town Planning in Colonial Burma" IDE Discussion Paper 561, 2016.
- "Discovery of "Outsiders": The Expulsion of Undesirable Chinese and Urban Governance of Colonial Rangoon, Burma, c.1900-1920" The Journal Sophia Asian Studies (Tokyo: Sophia University) 32, 2014.
- "From an Indian City to the Capital of Burma: The Emerging State Border in Colonial Rangoon, c.1850-1930" Ph.D. dissertation, University of Tokyo, 2013 (in Japanese).
- "An embryonic border: Racial discourses and compulsory vaccination for Indian immigrants at ports in colonial Burma, 1870-1937" Moussons: Recherche en sciences humaines sur l'Asie du Sud-Est (Marseille: Institut de recherche sur le Sud-Est Asiatique, Centre national de la recherche scientifique et Université de Provence) 17, 2011.
- "The Structure of Coasting Trade in British India from 1905 to 1931" IDE Discussion Paper 710, 2018 (Co-authored with Michihiro OGAWA and Kenmei TSUBOTA).
- "The 2015 Myanmar General Election: A Historic Victory for the National League for Democracy" (Asia Column) IDE-JETRO website, 2016 (Co-authored with Yoshihiro NAKANISHI).
- "Living in a Frontier: South Asians and Time and Space of Myanmar" (English version of my Japanese article translated by P's Pod editors) P's Pod (the information website project of Asia Peacebuilding Initiatives, Osaka School of International Public Policy, Osaka University).
- The 15th Japan Society for Southeast Asian Studies Award, 2017.
- The 7th Japan Consortium for Area Studies Award Toryu-sho (Budding Scholar) Category, 2017.
- The Japan Society for the Studies of Chinese Overseas, Research Award, 2016.
- The 14th Asia Pacific Research Prize (Iue Prize), 2015.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japan Society for Southeast Asian Studies, The Japan Society for the Studies of Chinese Overseas, The Historical Society of Japan