Education / Research Experience
|M. A. in Area Studies, Graduate Division of International and Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Tokyo, 1994|
|Ph.D., School of Politics and International Studies, University of Leeds, 2008|
|General Research Department, IDE, 1994|
|Visiting Scholar, Harriman Institute, Columbia University, 1998-1999|
|Visiting Scholar, Institute for the Development of Kazakhstan, 1999-2001|
|Area Studies Department II, 2001|
|Area Studies Center, 2003|
|Fieldwork in Almaty, Kazakhstan, May-December 2011|
|Area Studies Center, January 2012-June 2017|
|Director, Governance Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, July 2017-|
- "Changing Perceptions of Informal Payments under Privatization of Health Care: The Case of Kazakhstan," Central Asian Affairs, 6: 1-20, 2019.
- "Grades and Degrees for Sale: Understanding Informal Exchanges in Kazakhstan’s Education Sector," Problems of Post-Communism, published online on May 30, 2018.
- "Informal Payments and Connections in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan," Central Asian Survey , 34(3): 330-340, 2015.
- "Transnationalism As a Threat to State Security? Case Studies on Uighurs and Uzbeks in Kazakhstan," in Uyama, Tomohiko ed., Empire, Islam, and Politics in Central Eurasia , Sapporo: Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University, 2007.
- "The ‘Triadic Nexus’ in Kazakhstan: A Comparative Study of Russians, Uighurs, and Koreans," in Ieda, Osamu et al. eds., Beyond Sovereignty: From Status Law to Transnational Citizenship? , Sapporo: Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University, 2006.
- "Gosudarstvo – etnicheskoe men’shinstvo – etnicheskaia rodina etogo men’shinstva (Russkie, uigury i koreitsy v postsovetskom Kazakhstane)," in Furman, Dmitrii E. ed., Kazakhstan i Rossiia: obshchestva i gosudarstva , Moscow: Prava cheloveka, 2004. (In Russian)
- The Nationalities Question in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan (co-authored with Nurbulat Masanov, Erlan Karin, and Andrei Chebotarev), IDE, 2002.
- "Koreitsy v sovremennom Kazakhstane: strategiia vyzhivaniia v roli etnicheskogo men’shinstva," Diaspory , Nos. 2/3, 2001. (In Russian)
- "The Korean Diaspora in Nationalizing Kazakhstan: Strategies for Survival as an Ethnic Minority," in Kim, German N. and Ross King eds., Koryo Saram: Koreans in the Former USSR (Korean and Korean American Studies Bulletin , Vol. 12, Nos. 2/3), New Haven: East Rock Institute, 2001.
- "Deportation of Koreans from the Russian Far East to Central Asia," in Komatsu, Hisao, Chika Obiya and John S. Schoeberlein eds., Migration in Central Asia: Its History and Current Problems , Osaka: Japan Center for Area Studies, National Museum of Ethnology, 2000.
Discussion Papers, Reports, and Others
- "Agashka," in Ledeneva, Alena ed., The Global Encyclopaedia of Informality: Understanding Social and Cultural Complexity, Volume 1, London: UCL Press, 2018, pp. 86-88.
- "A Note on Ethnic Return Migration Policy in Kazakhstan: Changing Priorities and a Growing Dilemma," IDE Discussion Paper No. 394, 2013.
- "Neither Exit nor Voice: Loyalty as a Survival Strategy for the Uzbeks in Kazakhstan," IDE Discussion Paper No. 286, 2011.
- "Ethnicity and Elections under Authoritarianism: The Case of Kazakhstan," IDE Discussion Paper No. 194, 2009.
- "Managing Ethnicity under Authoritarian Rule: Transborder Nationalisms in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan," IDE Interim Report, 2007.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japan Association for Central Asian Studies, Japan Association for Comparative Politics, Central Eurasian Studies Society, European Society for Central Asian Studies