Education / Research Experience
|Graduated from Seikei University, Faculty of Law, Political Science Department, 1983|
|Completed the Graduate School of Management Science and Public Policy Studies, the University of Tsukuba, 1985|
|Completed the doctoral course (Doctor of Economics), University of Indonesia, 2003|
|Worked at Fuyo Data Processing & Systems Developing, Ltd. (Research & Developing Institute), 1985-1989|
|Worked at the Fuji Research Institute Corporation (Research and Development Division and Research and Engineering Technology Division) after the merger, 1989-1990|
|Worked as a special Assistant of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at the Embassy of Japan in Malaysia, 1990-1992|
|Joined the IDE (Economic Forecast Statistics Division in the Statistics Research Department), 1993|
|Dispatched and worked as a researcher in Jakarta, Indonesia, 1997-2000|
|Department of Economic Development Analysis, 2000-2003|
|Inter-Disciplinary Studies Center, 2003-2004|
|Development Studies Center, 2005-2006|
|International Exchange and Training Department , 2007|
|Bangkok Research Center, JETRO, 2008|
|JETRO Bangkok, 2010|
|Senior Researcher, Development Studies Center, 2014|
|Director-General, Development Studies Center, 2014|
Papers and Book Chapters
- "Cargo Transportation Cost in Vietnam," IDE Discussion Paper Series, No. 744. 2019.
- "Survey on Logistics Cost in Vietnam," IDE Discussion Paper Series, No. 743, (co-author with Vo Thi Minh Le and Ryo Ikebe), 2019.
- "Economic Potential of the Vientiane – Ha Noi Expressway Based on Experience of the Mekong Region," ERIA Discussion Paper Series, 2018-11.
- "The Position of ‘Sihanoukville Port Special Economic Zone Project'and ‘Greater Mekong Power Network Development Project (Cambodia Growth Corridor)’ in Regional Development of Cambodia Growth Corridor, as an attachment of "Kingdom of Cambodia FY 2016 Ex-Post Evaluation of Japanese ODA Loan Project ‘Sihanoukville Port SEZ Development Project (E/S)'‘Sihanoukville Port SEZ Development Project' by Masumi Shimamura, pp. 39 – 45, 2018.
- "Logistics Cost in Lao PDR, Policy-Oriented Research Project," co-authored with Ryo Ikebe, Ryohei Gamada, Tetsuo Shibata and Kenichiro Yamada.
- "Feasibility for Vientiane to Develop as a Precision and Electronics Industrial Cluster," in Policy Recommendation on Industrial Location in Lao PDR, Website of IDE-JETRO.
- "Evaluation of the New Foreign Investment Law in Myanmar: Is It Market-friendly or Not," in Myanmar’s Integration with Global Economy: Outlook and Opportunities , (eds) Lim, Hank and Yasuhiro Yamada, Bangkok: Bangkok Research Center, IDE-JETRO, 2014
- "Attracting FDI: Experiences of East Asian Countries" in Economic Reforms in Myanmar: Pathways and Prospects , (eds) Lim, Hank and Yasuhiro Yamada, Bangkok: Bangkok Research Center, IDE-JETRO, 2013
- "Special Economic Zones and Economic Corridors," ERIA Discussion Paper, 2009-16
- "GMS Economic Cooperation and Its Impact on CLMV Development," in Development Strategy for CLMV in the Age of Economic Integration , (ed) Sotharith, Chap, ERIA Research Project 2007-4, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2008
- "Evaluating Effectiveness of GMS Economic Corridors: Why More Focus on Bangkok-Hanoi Road than East-West Corridor?” in New Dynamics between China and Japan in Asia: How to Build the Future from the Past? , (ed) Faure, Guy, Singapore: World Scientific, 2010
- "Effectiveness and Challenges of Three Economic Corridors of the Greater Mekong Sub-region," I.D.E. Discussion Paper, No. 35
- "Reallocation of Japanese electrical appliances manufacture in China and ASEAN countries," Indonesian Quarterly , Vol.XXXI, No.4, Centre for Strategic International Studies, December 2003.
- "The Impact of the Economic Crisis on the Manufacturing Sector in Indonesia: Switching Decisions under the Exchange Rate Volatility," unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, University of Indonesia, January 2003. (Only the Abstract is published in Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Vol. 39 No.3, December, 2003.)
- "Industrialization Since the 1970s" IDE Research Paper No.5, September, 2003
- "The Prospect of and Challenges Facing the Recovery of the Real Sector", in IDE SPOT SURVEY, Indonesia Entering a New Era: Abdurrahman Wahid Government and Its Challenge , (ed) Sato, Yuri, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2000.
Edited Books and Reports
- "Cross-border Transport Facilitation in Inland ASEAN and the ASEAN Economic Community," ERIA Project Research Project Report 2017, No. 18, Jakarta: ERIA, 2013.
- Border Economies in the Greater Mekong Subregion , (ed.) Ishida, Masami, London: Palgrage Macmillan, 2013.
- Five Triangle Areas in the Greater Mekong Subregion , (ed) Ishida, Masami, Bangkok: Bangkok Research Center, IDE-JETRO, 2013.
- Emerging Economic Corridors in the Mekong Region , (ed) Ishida, Masami, Bangkok: Bangkok Research Center, IDE-JETRO, 2012.
- Intra- and Inter-City Connectivity in the Mekong Region , (ed) Ishida, Masami, Bangkok: Bangkok Research Center, IDE-JETRO, 2011.
- Investment Climate of Major Cities in CLMV Countries , (ed) Ishida, Masami, Bangkok: Bangkok Research Center, IDE-JETRO, 2010.
- A Study on Upgrading Industrial Structure of CLMV Countries, (eds) Banomyong, Ruth and Masami Ishida, Jakarta: ERIA.
- Economic Crisis in Indonesia , (ed) Ishida, Masami, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2000.
Presentation Materials on Websites
- "People-to-People Connectivity between Northeastern Thailand, Lao PDR and Central Vietnam," Seminar on People-to-People Connectivity between Northeastern Thailand, Lao PDR and Central Vietnam, Co-organized IDE-JETRO, the Center for Research on Plurality of Mekong Region, Khon Kaen University, at Khon Kaen University, 2017.
- "Special Economic Zones and Economic Corridors: Focusing on Thailand," Colombo Conference on "The Challenges for Plugging into Asian Value Chains: East Asian Experiences," Co-organized by IDE-JETRO and Ministry of Development Strategies and International Trade (MODSIT), Sri Lanka at Auditorium, Institute of Policy Studies of Sri Lanka (IPS), 2017.
- "Economic Effects of Road Development and Its Challenges," Policy Dialogue on Logistics Cost in Lao PDR, Co-organized by IDE-JETRO and National Institute for Economic Research, Lao PDR (NIER), at Thatluang, Crowne Plaza Vientiane, 2017.
- "SEZs, Clusters and Economic Corridors in the Mekong Region," Session 3: Roundtables on Enhanced Partnerships for Solving Key Development Problems in Asia and the Pacific with a title of "Special Economic Zones, Cluster and Economic Corridor Development," Third Asia Think Tank Summit, Inclusive Knowledge Partnerships for Development, at ADB, Manila.