Education / Research Experience
|B.A. (Economics), Department of Economics, The University of Tokyo, 1979|
|M.A. (Economics), Graduate School of Economics, The University of Tokyo, 1984|
|Lecturer, Department of Economics, Seikei University, 1984|
|Lecturer, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University, 1986|
|Associate Professor, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University, 1989|
|Professor, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University, 1999|
|Member of the Advisory Committee for the National Accounts, Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, 2003|
|Adviser, Maddison Project, University of Groningen, 2010|
|Program Director, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI), 2011|
|Member of the Executive Committee, Asian Historical Economics Society (AHES), 2012|
|Director, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University, 2013|
|The president of the Joint Usage / Research Center Council, Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Japan, 2014|
|Vice-director at Hitotsubashi Institute for Advanced Studies, 2014|
|Head, Research Centre for Information and Statistics of Social Science, IER, Hitotsubashi University, 2017|
- Fukao, Kyoji, Jean-Pascal Bassino, Tatsuji Makino, Ralph Paprzycki, Tokihiko Settsu, Masanori Takashima, and Joji Tokui, Regional Inequality and Industrial Structure in Japan: 1874-2008, Maruzen Publishing Co., Ltd., Tokyo, March 2015.
- Jorgenson, D.W., K. Fukao and M. P. Timmer, eds., The World Economy, Growth or Stagnation?, Cambridge University Press, November 2016.
- Paprzycki, Ralph and Kyoji Fukao, Foreign Direct Investment in Japan: Multinationals' Role in Growth and Globalization, Cambridge University Press, March 2008.1990.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Kenta Ikeuchi, YounGak Kim and HyeogUg Kwon, "Innovation and Employment Growth in Japan: Analysis Based on Microdata from the Basic Survey of Japanese business Structure and Activities," The Japanese Economic Review, Vol.68, Issue 2, pp.200-216, June 2016. (DOI: 10.1111/jere.12146)
- Fukao, Kyoji and Tangjun Yuan, "China's Growth Slowdown: lessons from Japan's Experience and the Expected Impact on Japan, the USA and Germany," China & World Economy, Vol.24, Issue 5, pp.122-146, September-October 2016. (DOI: 10.1111/cwe.12177)
- Fukao, Kyoji, Kenta Ikeuchi, YoungGak Kim and Hyeog Ug Kwon, "Why Was Japan Left Behind in the ICT Revolution?, Telecommunications Policy, Vol.40, issue 5, pp.432-449, May 2016.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Kenta Ikeuchi, YoungGak Kim, Hyeog Ug Kwon and Tatsuji Makino, "International Competitiveness: A Comparison of the Manufacturing Sectors in Korea and Japan," Seoul Journal of Economics, Vol.29, No.1, pp.43-68, Spring (February) 2016.
- Fukao, Kyoji "Explaining Japan's Unproductive Two Decades," Asian Economic Policy Review, Vol. 8(2), pp. 193-213, December 2013.
- Belderbos, Rene, Kyoji Fukao, Keiko Ito and Wilko Letterie, "Global Fixed Capital Investment by Multinational Firms," Economica, (Article first published online: December 2012) Vol.80, Issue 318, pp.274-299, April 2013.
- Fukao, Kyoji and Toshihiro Okubo, "Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined?: The Role of Business Networks in East Asian Machinery Trade," Journal of Economic Integration, Vol.26, No.4, pp.651-671, December 2011.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Tomohiko Inui, Keiko Ito, Young Gak Kim and Tangjun Yuan, "An International Comparison of the TFP Levels and the Productivity Convergence of Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, and Chinese Listed Firms," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Vol.9, No.2, pp.127-150, May 2011.e), 1997.
- Dekle, Robert and Kyoji Fukao, with the assistance of Murat Ungor, "The Japan-US Exchange Rate, Productivity, and the Competitiveness of Japanese Industries," Japan's Bubble, Deflation, and Long-term Stagnation, edited by Koichi Hamada, Anil K. Kashyap and David E. Weinstein, The MIT Press, London, pp.105-128, January 2011.
- Ito, Keiko and Kyoji Fukao, "Determinants of the Profitability of Japanese Manufacturing Affiliates in China and Other Regions: Does Localisation of Procurement, Sales, and Management Matter?" The World Economy, Vol.33, Issue 12, pp.1639-1671, December 2010.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Harry X. Wu and Tangjun Yuan, "Comparative Output and Labour Productivity in Manufacturing for China, Japan, Korea and the United States in ca. 1935 by a Production PPP Approach," Exploration in Economic History, Vol.47, Issue 3, pp.325-346, July 2010.
- Yamashita, Nobuaki and Kyoji Fukao, "Expansion Abroad and Jobs at Home: Evidence from Japanese Multinational Enterprises," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, Vol.22, No.2, pp.88-97, March 2010.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Tsutomu Miyagawa, Kentaro Mukai, Yukio Shinoda and Konomi Tonogi, "Intangible Investment in Japan: Measurement and Contribution to Economic Growth," The Review of Income and Wealth, Vol.55, Issue 3, pp.717-736, September 2009.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Debin Ma and Tangjun Yuan, "Real GDP in Pre-War East Asia: A 1934-36 Benchmark Purchasing Power Parity Comparison with the U.S.," Review of Income and Wealth, Vol.53, No.3, pp.503-537, September 2007.
- Fukao, Kyoji and Hyeog Ug Kwon, "Why Did Japan's TFP Growth Slow Down in the Lost Decade? An Empirical Analysis Based on Firm-Level Data of Manufacturing Firms," Japanese Economic Review, Vol.57, No.2, pp.195-228, June 2006.
- Kyoji, Fukao, Debin Ma and Tangjun Yuan, "International Comparison in Historical Perspective: Reconstructing the 1934-36 Benchmark Purchasing Power Parity for Japan, Korea and Taiwan," Explorations in Economic History, Vol.43, No.3, pp. 280-308, April 2006.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Kozo Kiyota and Ximing Yue, "China's Long-Term International Trade Statistics: By Commodity, 1952-1964 and 1981-2000," Journal of International Economic Studies, Vol.20, pp. 75-88, March 2006.
- Fukao, Kyoji, Keiko Ito and Hyeog Ug Kwon, "Do Out-In M&As Bring Higher TFP to Japan?: An Empirical Analysis Based on Micro-data on Japanese Manufacturing Firms," The Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Vol.19, No.2, pp.272-301, June 2005.
- Fukao, Kyoji and Roland Benabou, "History versus Expectations: A Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, pp.536-542, May 1993.
- Fukao, Kyoji and Masayuki Otaki, "Accumulation of Human Capital and the Business Cycle," Journal of Political Economy, Vol.101, No.1, pp.73-99, February 1993.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japanese Economic Association