Fellowships / Job Openings
Job opening for IDE-JETRO Research Fellows for JFY 2020
Area Studies / Development Studies
as of February 8, 2019
- Research Fellows of area studies on specific developing countries/economies in social science disciplines
- Research Fellows of development studies (Economic growth, economic integration, trade and investment, technological innovation, environment and natural resources, urban economy, rural areas and agriculture, population, education, health and labor, fiscal and monetary policies, industrial organization, legal system, and other development-related issues).
Positions are offered as tenure-track or other fixed-term contracts. An applicant with a distinctive capacity may be offered a tenure immediately.
※Note: A tenure-track position is a three-year, fixed-term contract. The contract may be extended up to another two years. There will be annual reviews of tenure-track researchers. A tenure may be offered at the end of third year if all the reviews are favorable. A researcher receiving reviews with distinction may be offered a tenure at any review during the first three years.
Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (or expected to receive a Ph.D. by March, 2020).
We accept applicants of any nationality.
How to apply
- Registration: All applicants must register online first.
- Documents: All applicants must provide the following by a postal or courier mail:
*We do not accept the submission via e-mail.
- a. Curriculum vitae with a recent photograph (Download a template on our website)
- b. An essay explaining your motivation for applying for the position (either in English or Japanese, not exceeding one A4 size page)
- c. A list of your academic publications, including books, monographs, research papers, and other works in English and, if applicable, in Japanese
- d. A letter of recommendation from a professor or senior researcher from your institute or any comparable institution
- e. a copy of major writings ( Ph.D. dissertation or major academic publication (book, book chapter, monograph, research paper, or refereed article in English or Japanese etc.) up to three items.
- f. One copy of the abstracts of items listed in (e)
※Copies of diploma and certificates of Bachelor's, Master's and Doctor's degrees. (To be submitted after a job offer is made.)
Send all the materials to
Recruitment, Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
3-2-2, Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN
※On the envelope clearly print "Application materials: “Area Studies" or "Development studies" in red. Please note that application materials will not be returned.
February 8 to April 15, 2019(All applications must be received by 17:00 (GMT+9), April 15)
Selection based on submitted materials. Presentation sessions followed by interview(s) in English or Japanese
(scheduled in mid or late June, or mid July )
Other terms and conditions of employment
- Work hours: Discretionary working schedule system (deemed to work for 8 hours 35 minutes on each day of duty)
- Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, year-end and New Year holidays
- Paid leaves: Annual, Summer, and other miscellaneous leaves specified by the law
- Salary: Determined by age and work experiences as per IDE-JETRO policies
- Social security: Eligible for National Health Insurance, National Unemployment Insurance, Workers’ compensation insurance, Employee’s Pension Plan, Corporate Pension Fund, a dormitory for single and family
Please send inquiries to:
IDE-JETRO, Recruitment, Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
Tel: 81-43-299-9528 / Fax: 81-43-299-9724
※Please note that we cannot answer questions about result of screening.