|1981||BA (First Class Honour), Thammasat University, Thailand|
|1984||MA, University of Sydney, Australia|
|1988||PhD, University of Sydney, Australia|
|1988–1991||Lecturer at Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand|
|2009–||Editorial Board of the journals South East Asia Research (UK)|
|2009–||Editorial Board of the journals Modern Asian Studies (UK)|
|1991–2016||Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor of History, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA|
|2003–2016||Co-editor of the Southeast Asia Series for University of Wisconsin Press|
|2016–||Emeritus Professor, University of Wisconsin-Madison|
|1994||The John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship|
|1995||The Harry J. Benda Award, AAS for the book Siam Mapped|
|2003||Elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, class of 2003|
|2004||Grand Prize for the Asia Pacific Book Award, the Asian Affairs Research Council, Japan, for the Japanese translation of Siam Mapped by Professor Yoneo Ishii|
|2013–2014||President of the Association for Asian Studies (AAS)|
- 1994, Siam Mapped: A History of the Geo-body of a Nation. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 280 pp. + illus. ＆ maps;
awarded the Harry J. Benda Prize from the Association for Asian Studies (1995); Japanese translation received the Grand Prize of Asia Pacific Book Award from the Asian Affairs Research Council (2004); Thai edition 2013; Chinese edition 2016; Korean edition forthcoming. The journal SOJOURN (Apr. 2009) regards it as one of the "most influential books of Southeast Asian Studies"
- 2017 Thais/Others, Nonthaburi: Fa Diew Kan Publishing, 244 pp.
- 2016 The Face of Royal-nationalism in Thai Historiography, Nonthaburi: Fa Diew Kan Publishing, 260 pp.
- 2015 6 October: Unforgettable but Unable to Remember, Nonthaburi: Fa Diew Kan, 267 pp.
- 2013 Democracy with the Monarchy above Politics, Bangkok: Fa Diew Kan, 328 pp.
- 2005 Going Beyond the Post-1973 Democracy, Bangkok: the 14 October Foundation, 102 pp.
- 2016 "Thailand's Hyper-royalism: Its past Success and Present Predicament" Trends in Southeast Asia, no.7, Singapore: ISEAS Yusof Ishak Institute, 2016. 36 pp.
- 2015 "Thailand’s Royal Democracy in Crisis", Newsletter no. 72, Center for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto University, pp. 4–6.
- 2015 "Fabrication, Stealth, and Copying of Historical Writings: the Historiographical Misconducts of Mr. Kulap of Siam", A Sarong for Clio, Cornell Southeast Asia Program, pp. 41–61.
- 2015 "Buddhist Apologetics and a Genealogy of Comparative Religion in Siam," NUMEN International Review for the History of Religions, 62 (2015), pp. 76–99.
- 2014 "Asian Studies across Academies: the AAS Presidential Address", Journal of Asian Studies, 73:4 (November 2014), pp 879–897.
- 2014 "Modern Historiography in Southeast Asia: the case of Thailand’s Royal-Nationalist History," in A Companion to Global Historical Thought, eds. Prasenjit Duara, Viren Murthy and Andrew Sartori, Wiley Blackwell, pp. 257–268.
- 2014 "The Monarchy and Anti-Monarchy: Two Elephants in the Room of Thai Politics and the State of Denial" in Good Coup Gone Bad, ed. Pavin Chachavalpongpun, Singapore: ISEAS, pp. 79–108.
- 2013 co-author with Eric Taggliacozzo, "Gradations of colonialism in Southeast Asia's 'in-between' places" in The Routledge Handbook of Southeast Asian History, ed. Norman G. Owen, London: Routledge, pp.36–45.
- 2011 "Siam's Colonial Conditions and the Birth of Thai History," in Unraveling Myths in Southeast Asian Historiography, ed. Volker Grabowsky, the volume in honor of Bass Terwiel, Bangkok: Rivers Books, pp. 23–45.
- 2009 "Coming to Terms with the West, Intellectual Strategies of Bifurcation and Post-Westernism in Siam," in The Ambiguous Allure of the West: Traces of Colonialism in Thailand, eds. Rachel Harrison and Peter Jackson, Hong Kong University Press, pp. 135–151.
- 2008 "Toppling Democracy," Journal of Contemporary Asia, 38, 1, pp. 11–37.
- 2005 "Trying to Locate Southeast Asia from Its Navel: Where is Southeast Asian Studies in Thailand?" in Locating Southeast Asia: Geographies of Knowledge and Politics of Space, eds. Henk Schulte Nordholt, Paul Kratoska and Remco Ruben, Athens: Ohio University Press, pp. 113–132.
- 2003 "Writing at the Interstices: Southeast Asian Historians and Post-National Histories in Southeast Asia", lead article in New Terrains in Southeast Asian History, eds. Abu Talib Ahmad and Tan Liok Ee, Athens: Ohio University Press, pp. 3–29.
- 2000 "The Quest for 'Siwilai': A geographical discourse of Civilizational Thinking in the Late 19th and early 20th Century Siam", Journal of Asian Studies 59, 3, pp.528–549.
- 2000 "The Others Within: Travel and Ethno-spatial Differentiation of Siamese Subjects, 1885–1910," lead article in Civility and Savagery: the Differentiation of Peoples within the Tai Speaking Polities, ed. Andrew Turton, London: Curzon Press, pp.38–62.
- 1995 "The Changing Landscape of the Past: New Histories in Thailand since 1973," Journal of Southeast Asian Studies 26, 1 (1995), pp. 99–120.