Education / Research Experience
|B.A. in Economics, Keio University, Tokyo, 1986|
|M.A. in Economics, Keio University, Tokyo, 1988|
|Ph.D. in Economics, University of Rochester, 2000|
|Vice President, Japan Society for International Development (JASID), 2014.|
|Chief Senior Researcher, Development Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE), Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Japan, 2018.|
|Professor, IDE Advanced School (IDEAS), Japan, 2003.|
|Editor, The Developing Economies , IDE, Japan, 2003.|
|Executive Member, Board, the Japan Society for International Development , 2005.|
|Part-time Lecturer, Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Tokyo, 2016.|
|President, the Japan Society for International Development, 2017.|
|Responsibilities in the Past:|
|Visiting Fellow, the Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 2000-2001|
|External Resource Person, Global Development Network, USA (Global Research Project: Explaining Growth), 2001-2003|
|Visiting Lecturer, Tohoku University of Community Service and Science, Sakata, Yamagata Prefecture, Japan, 2002-2012.|
|Team Leader, UNIDO-IDE Joint Research Project "Optimising the Impact of Industrial Development on Poverty Alleviation", 2003-2006|
|Member, Study Group on "Poverty Reduction and Human Security", Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), 2003-2005|
|Member, Committee for Japan's ODA Policies on Health, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan, 2004-2005|
|Head, Tokyo Taskforce for Japan's Country Assistance Plan for Bangladesh, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan, 2004-2006|
|Member, Committee on JICA's Policies for Cooperation with Bangladesh, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), 2004-2006|
|Caretaker, Study Group on the Multilateral Development Banks, Ministry of Finance, Japan, 2005-2006|
|Member, Committee for Evaluation of Japan's ODA, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan, 2006-2010.|
|Affiliate Member, Science Council of Japan , 2008-2014|
|Head, Evaluation Team on Japan’s “Aid for Trade” to developing countries, International Cooperation Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan, 2011-2012.|
|International Consultant for Industrial Development Report 2013 of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), 2012.|
|Head, Evaluation Team on Japan's Contribution to the Achievement of the MDGs in the Health Sector, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan, 2014-2015.|
|Vice President, Japan Society for International Development (JASID), 2014-2017|
|Head, Team for Country Assistance Evaluation of Vietnam, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan, 2015-2016.|
|Head, Team for Country Assistance Evaluation of Paraguay, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Japan, 2016-2017.|
|Director-General, International Exchange and Training Department, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE), Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Japan, 2012-2018.|
|Secretary-General, Institute of Developing Economies Advanced School (IDEAS), Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Japan, 2012-2018.|
- Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Sustainable Development Goals and Japan: Sustainability Overshadows Poverty Reduction," Asia-Pacific Development Journal, December 2016, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 1-17.
- Jose Ramon Albert, Soya Mori, Celia Reyes, Aubrey D. Tabuga and Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Income Disparity among Persons with Disabilities, Assessed by Education and Sex: Accentuated Gender Difference Found in Metro Manila, the Philippines," Developing Economies , Vol. 53, No. 4, December 2015, pp. 289-302.
- Soya Mori, Celia M. Reyes and Tatsufumi Yamagata (eds.), Poverty Reduction of the Disabled: Livelihood of Persons with Disabilities in the Philippines, London and New York: Routledge, 2015.
- Takahiro Fukunishi and Tatsufumi Yamagata (eds.), The Garment Industry in Low-Income Countries: An Entry Point of Industrialization, Houndmills, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014.
- Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Seasonal Deprivation and Microcredit in Northern Bangladesh," in Abu S. Shonchoy (ed.), Seasonality and Microcredit: The Case of Northern Bangladesh, Tokyo: Springer 2014, pp. 21-40.
- Takahiro Fukunishi, Kenta Goto and Tatsufumi Yamagata, Aid for Trade and Value Chains in Textiles and Apparel, Geneva: World Trade Organization, 2013.
- Yoko Asuyama, Dalin Chhun, Takahiro Fukunishi, Seiha Neou and Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Firm Dynamics in the Cambodian Garment Industry: Firm Turnover, Productivity Growth and Wage Profile under Trade Liberalization," Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy , February 2013, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 51-70.
- Soya Mori and Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Measurements to Assess Progress in Rights and Livelihood of Persons with Disabilities: Implications Drawn from the IDE PIDS Socio Economic Survey of PWDs," a background paper presented at the Expert Group Meeting "Closing the Gap: Strategies to Combat and Monitor Exclusion in the Asia and the Pacific Region," held at UNESCAP, Bangkok, 29 September-1 October 2009 (IDE Discussion Paper No. 218).
- Tatsufumi Yamagata, "How to Manage Out-Migration of Medical Personnel from Developing Countries: The Case of Filipino and South African Nurses and Doctors Leaving for Saudi Arabia, the UK and the US," in Hiroko Uchimura (ed.), Making Health Services More Accessible in Developing Countries: Finance and Health Resources for Functioning Health Systems , Houndmills, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009, pp. 173-202.
- Zaid Bakht, Tatsufumi Yamagata and Mohammad Yunus, "Profitability and Diversity among Knitwear-Producing Firms in Bangladesh: The Prospects of a Labor-Intensive Industry in a Least Developed Country," Developing Economies, Vol. 47, No. 3, September 2009, pp. 340-366.
- Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Industrialization cum Poverty Reduction: The Cases of Bangladesh and Cambodia," in Takashi Shiraishi, Tatsufumi Yamagata and Shahid Yusuf (eds.), Poverty Reduction and Beyond: Development Strategies for Low-Income Countries, Houndmills, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009, pp. 93-111.
- Takashi Shiraishi, Tatsufumi Yamagata and Shahid Yusuf, eds., Poverty Reduction and Beyond: Development Strategies for Low-Income Countries, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- Banri Ito and Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Who Develops Innovations in Medicine for the Poor? Trends in Patent Applications Related to Medicines for HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria and Neglected Diseases", Developing Economies , Vol. 45, No. 2, June 2007, pp. 141-171.
- Tatsufumi Yamagata,"Prospects for Development of the Garment Industry in Developing Countries: What Has Happened Since the MFA Phase-Out?" IDE Discussion Papers No. 101, April 2007.
- Tatsufumi Yamagata,"The Garment Industry in Cambodia:Its Role in Poverty Reduction through Export-Oriented Development," Cambodian Economic Review, Issue 2, December 2006, pp. 81-136.
- Takahiro Fukunishi, Mayumi Murayama, Tatsufumi Yamagata and Akio Nishiura, Industrialization and Poverty Alleviation: Pro-Poor Industrialization Strategies Revisited , Vienna: United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), 2006.
- Mitsuyo Kurihara and Tatsufumi Yamagata,"Pro-Poor Growth in Asia and Its Implication for Africa: Which Sector Increases More the Employment of the Poor?", JBICI Review , No. 8, November 2003.
- Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Procyclical Productivity and Returns-to-Scale in Philippine Manufacturing" Asian Economic Journal , Vol. 14, No. 4, December 2000.
- Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Analogous Cycles with Lagged Co-movement: U.S. and East Asian Business Cycles" Developing Economies, Vol. 36, No. 4, December 1998.
- Tatsufumi Yamagata, "Ineffective Protection, Weak Linkage and Poor Performance: The Philippine and Thai Textile Industries," in Mitsuhiro Kagami, John Humphery and Michael Piore (eds.), Learning, Liberalization and Economic Adjustment , Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies, 1998.