Chief Senior Researcher, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center
Area Studies and Iranology, Iran and Afghanistan
Education / Research Experience
|Graduated from the University of Tokyo, College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Liberal Arts, Area Studies Division, Asian Studies., March 1983|
|Completed the University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Division of Area Studies [Master of Arts]., April 1986|
|Received the degree of Ph.D. (Area Studies) from the University of Tokyo., October 2008|
|Institute of Developing Economies, April 1986 (up to date)|
|Visiting Fellow at Cultural Studies and Research Institute, Tehran., October 1989 to October 1991|
|Senior Visiting Fellow at Payām-e Nūr University, Tehran., October 1999 to October 2001|
- ”The Shaping of Rusta-shahrs and the Emergence of Self-Governance in the Post-Revolutionary Rural Societies of Iran,” Tsugitaka Sato (ed), Development of Parliamentalism in the Modern Islamic World (Toyo Bunko, 2009).
- The Nature of the State in Afghanistan and Its Relations with Neighboring Countries （IDE-JETRO, Discussion Paper No.72, August 2006）.
- Structural Changes and Formation of Rusta-shahr in Post-Revolutionary Rural Society in Iran (IDE-JETRO, Discussion Paper No.19, December 2004): Persian final version in Iran-nameh forthcoming.
- "Book Review: GOTO Akira, State and Rural Society in the Middle East: Villages in the Light of Modern Iranian History," AJAMES, No.19-1, 2003.
- "A Note on the Jan.20, 1891 Akhtar Article concerning the Persian Tobacco Concession," AJAMES, No.1, 1986.
- Rural Cities in Contemporary Iran: The Transformation since the 1979 Revolution and the War with Iraq, Keisoshobo, February 2011.
- Afghanistan and Surrounding Countries: 6 Years’ Experience and Prospects for Reconstruction (Ed.), IDE, March 2008.
- Prospects for Re-building Afghanistan: Issues of National Integration (Ed.), Akashi Shoten, May 2007.
- Handbook of Contemporary Afghanistan (Ed.), Akashi Shoten, June 2005.
- “Iranian films as Those of ‘Women and Children’,” Sexuality and Culture in Muslim Societies (Islamic Area Studies Vol.6), Todai-shuppankai, March 2005.
- Central Power and Locality in the Middle East: Cases of Iran and Egypt (Co-ed.), IDE Research Series No.479, April 1997.
- "Iranians in Istanbul and the Tobacco Protest: Through an Analysis of the Persian Newspaper Akhtar," Journal of Asian and African Studies, No.32, 1986.
Membership of Academic SocietiesISIS, JAMES, SNESJ, AISJ, Collegium Mediterranistarum
Since the beginning of 2011, the Middle East has been going through a period of unprecedented change. In view of this, we are now conducting a research project with the title of “Prospects for Building Peace in the Middle East and South Asia.” to meet with the practical needs from policy-makers.