Education / Research Experience
|Graduated from the University of Tokyo, College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Liberal Arts, Area Studies Division, Asian Studies., March 1983|
|Completed the University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Division of Area Studies [Master of Arts]., April 1986|
|Received the degree of Ph.D. (Area Studies) from the University of Tokyo., October 2008|
|Institute of Developing Economies, April 1986 (up to date)|
|Visiting Fellow at Cultural Studies and Research Institute, Tehran., October 1989 to October 1991|
|Senior Visiting Fellow at Payām-e Nūr University, Tehran., October 1999 to October 2001|
- ”The Shaping of Rusta-shahrs and the Emergence of Self-Governance in the Post-Revolutionary Rural Societies of Iran,” Tsugitaka Sato (ed), Development of Parliamentalism in the Modern Islamic World (Toyo Bunko, 2009).
- The Nature of the State in Afghanistan and Its Relations with Neighboring Countries （IDE-JETRO, Discussion Paper No.72, August 2006）.
- Structural Changes and Formation of Rusta-shahr in Post-Revolutionary Rural Society in Iran (IDE-JETRO, Discussion Paper No.19, December 2004): Persian final version in Iran-nameh forthcoming.
- "Book Review: GOTO Akira, State and Rural Society in the Middle East: Villages in the Light of Modern Iranian History," AJAMES , No.19-1, 2003.
- "A Note on the Jan.20, 1891 Akhtar Article concerning the Persian Tobacco Concession," AJAMES , No.1, 1986.
- Rural Cities in Contemporary Iran: The Transformation since the 1979 Revolution and the War with Iraq , Keisoshobo, February 2011.
- Afghanistan and Surrounding Countries: 6 Years’ Experience and Prospects for Reconstruction (Ed.), IDE, March 2008.
- Prospects for Re-building Afghanistan: Issues of National Integration (Ed.), Akashi Shoten, May 2007.
- Handbook of Contemporary Afghanistan (Ed.), Akashi Shoten, June 2005.
- “Iranian films as Those of ‘Women and Children’,” Sexuality and Culture in Muslim Societies (Islamic Area Studies Vol.6), Todai-shuppankai, March 2005.
- Central Power and Locality in the Middle East: Cases of Iran and Egypt (Co-ed.), IDE Research Series No.479, April 1997.
- "Iranians in Istanbul and the Tobacco Protest: Through an Analysis of the Persian Newspaper Akhtar," Journal of Asian and African Studies , No.32, 1986.
Membership of Academic Societies
ISIS, JAMES, SNESJ, AISJ, Collegium Mediterranistarum
Since the beginning of 2011, the Middle East has been going through a period of unprecedented change. In view of this, we are now conducting a research project with the title of “Prospects for Building Peace in the Middle East and South Asia.” to meet with the practical needs from policy-makers.