Deputy Director-General, Area Studies Center
Agricultural economics, rural sociology, local organizations, area study (Thailand), social movements and NGOs
Education / Research Experience
|B.A. of Agricultural Science, Kyoto University, 1981|
|M.A. of Agricultural Science, Kyoto University, 1983|
|Ph.D(Economics) of Kyoto University, 1997|
|Received "Award for the Promotion of Studies on Developing Countries" for the book, Village Organizations for Rural Development in Thailand (in Japanese), 1997|
|Research Assistant of United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD), Nagoya, JAPAN, January 1986 - June 1986|
|Researcher, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE), Tokyo,JAPAN (After July 1998, IDE has been merged with Japan External Trade Organization, JETRO), July 1986 - March 2000|
|Associate Senior Research Fellow of IDE-JETRO, April 2000 - March 2001|
|Senior Research Fellow of IDE-JETRO, April 2001 - July 2002|
|Oversea researcher of IDE-JETRO (in Berkeley, California, USA and Bangkok, Thailand), July 2002 to July 2004|
|Senior Research Fellow of IDE-JETRO, August 2004 - March 2006|
|Director in Charge, Area Studies Center, April 2006 - May 2007|
|Director, Southeast Asian Studies Group I, Area Studies Center, June 2007|
|Visiting Research Fellow, Faculty of Economics, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand and Faculty of Agriculture, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand, June 1988 - June 1990|
|Visiting Scholar at School of Social Welfare, University of California, Berkeley, USA, August 1, 2002 to July 31, 2003|
|Zellerbach Visiting Professor at School of Social Welfare, University of California, Berkeley, USA, September 20, 2002 to December 19, 2002|
|Visiting scholar at Faculty of Political Science, Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand, July 2003 to July 2004|
|Director, Southeast Asian Studies Group I, Area Studies Center, June 2006|
|Deputy Director-General, Area Studies Center, July 2012|
only English literature
- The NGO Way: Perspectives and Experiences from Thailand, (Edition with Kasian Tejapira and Apichart Thongyou), Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2004.
- The State and NGOs: Perspective from Asia, (edition) Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2002.
- Cooperation and Community in Rural Thailand: An Organizational Analysis of Participatory Rural Development. Occasional Papers Series, No. 35, Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies, 1998.
- "The space model of Third-sector analysis: A perspective from Asia," Social Development Issues, vol.25, no.3, 2003/2004: 39-50.
- "Rural organizations and development: The social background for collective action" in Takamasa Akiyama and Donald F. Larson (eds.), The Dynamics of Rural Development in Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand, Canberra: Asia Pacific Press, 2004, pp.123-161.
- "Four decades of development in the Thai rural sector and the role of government," in Takamasa Akiyama and Donald F. Larson (eds.), The Dynamics of Rural Development in Indonesia, the Philippines and Thailand, Canberra: Asia Pacific Press, 2004, pp.294-379.
- "Multi-household farming system in a Northeastern Thai village: Its transformation during economic development," SOJOURN, vol.10 no.1 (April 2004): 28-50.
- "Social structure and local organisations in the Chao Phraya Delta," in Francois Molle (ed.), Thailand's Rice Bowl: Perspectives on Agricultural and Social Change in The Chao Phraya Delta, Bangkok: White Lotus, 2003.
- "The Transmission of Information in the Transacting of Primary Products: The Case of Quality Improvement in Thailand’s Natural Rubber Production", The Developing Economies, Vol.33 No.2, 1995: 203-221.
- "Community Participation and Economic Development: A Case Study in a Thai Village", Social Development Issues, Vol.17 (2/3), 1995: 81-88.
- "From 'Loosely' to 'Tightly' Structured Social Organization: The Changing Aspects of Cooperative Activities and Village Community in Rural Thailand," The Developing Economies, Vol.30 No.2, 1992: 154-178.