Education / Research Experience
|D.Phil in Politics, St Antony's College, University of Oxford, 2006|
|Ph.D in International Relations, Ritsumeikan University, 2000|
|Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO, April 2015-|
|Research Fellow Sent Abroad (Cape Town, South Africa), March 2013-February 2015|
|Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO, April 2009-February 2013|
- 2018. "Opportunities and Constraints for Black Farming in a Former South African Homeland: A Case Study of the Mooi River Irrigation Scheme, Msinga, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa" in Yoichi Mine and Horman Chitonge, eds., Land, Agriculture, and Unfinished Decolonization in Africa: Essays in Honour of Sam Moyo, African Study Monographs, Supplementary Issue, No.57, pp.147-174.
- 2018. "Khoisan Revivalism and Land Question in Post-Apartheid South Africa" in Femke Brandt and Grasian Mkodzongi, eds., Land Reform Revisited: Democracy, State Making and Agrarian Transformation in Post-Apartheid South Africa, Leiden: Brill, pp.199-220.
- 2015. "Book Review: Migration and National Identity in South Africa, 1820-2010 by Audie Klotz", The Developing Economies, Vol.53, No.3, pp.232-235.
- 2013. "The Challenge of Black Economic Empowerment" in Kumiko Makino and Chizuko Sato, eds., Public Policy and Transformation in South Africa after Democratisation, IDE Spot Survey 33, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, pp.11-31.
- 2013. "Black Economic Empowerment in the South African Agricultural Sector: A Case Study of the Wine Industry", Discussion Paper No. 384, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies.
- 2013. "Book Review: Poverty, War, and Violence in South Africa by Clifton Crais", The Developing Economies, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp.230-232.
- 2012. "Casting a Voice for Rural Struggles during Apartheid: The Case of AFRA", Discussion Paper No. 351, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies.
- 2012. "International Migration of Nurses and Human Resources for Health Policy: The Case of South Africa", Working Paper No.11, Otsu: Afrasian Research Centre, Ryukoku University.
- 2011. "Multi-step International Migration of Filipino Nurses: The Propensity to Migrate among Filipino Nurses in Dubai", (with Maria Reinaruth D. Carlos), Society and Culture: Journal of the Socio-Cultural Research Institute, Ryukoku University, Vol.13, pp.37-61.
- 2010. "From Removals to Reform: Land Struggles in Weenen in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa", in William Beinart and Marcelle C. Dawson, eds., Popular Politics and Resistance Movements in South Africa, Johannesburg: Wits University Press, pp.117-140.
- 2010. "Land Restitution and Community Politics: The Case of Roosboom in KwaZulu-Natal", in Cherryl Walker, Anna Bohlin, Ruth Hall and Thembela Kepe, eds., Land, Memory, Reconstruction and Justice: Perspectives on Land Claims in South Africa, Athens: Ohio University Press, pp. 215-231.
- 2010. "The Multi-step Migration of Nurses: The Case of Filipinos in the United Kingdom", (with Maria Reinaruth D. Carlos), Society and Culture: Journal of the Socio-Cultural Research Institute, Ryukoku University, Vol.12, pp. 5-31.
- 2008. "Sending Society’s Responses to International Migration of Nurses and Its Policy Implications: The Case of the Philippines", (with Maria Reinaruth D. Carlos), Ritsumeikan International Affairs, Vol. 6, pp.27-51.
- 2007. "Liberal Opposition to Forced Removals and Non-Racialism in South Africa", Ritsumeikan Annual Review of International Studies, Vol.6, pp.79-102.
- 2007. "Forced Removals, Land Struggles and Restoration of Land in South Africa: A Case of Roosboom", Working Paper No. 27, Kyoto: Afrasian Centre for Peace and Development Studies, Ryukoku University.
- 2003. "South African Agriculture and East Asian Experience", (with Makoto Sato), in Chris Alden and Katsumi Hirano, eds., Japan and South Africa in a Globalizing World: A Distant Mirror, Aldershot: Ashgate, pp.192-214.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japan Association for African Studies, The Peace Studies Association of Japan