Director, Environment and Natural Resource Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center
Senior Research Fellow
Senior Research Fellow
Environmental Problems and Social Change in China, Environmental Policy Process, River Basin Governance, NGO and Community
Education / Research Experience
|Master in Environmental Sciences, Tsukuba University, 1992|
|Researcher, Institute of Systems Science Research, Kyoto, 1992-1993|
|Researcher, Development Studies Department, Institute of Developing Economies, 1993-1997|
|Visiting Research Fellow, Center for Environmental Science, Peking University, 1997-1999|
|Researcher, Development Studies Department, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization (IDE-JETRO), 1999-2003|
|Researcher, Environment and Natural Resource Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, 2003|
- "Urban People's Awareness of the Quality of Life: Environmental Issues in Two Major Cities in Contemporary China" in Nisihira, Sigeki, Reeitsu Kojima, Hideo Okamoto and Shigeaki Fujisaki eds. Environmental Awareness in Developing Countries: The Case of China and Thailand, IDE Development and the Environmental Series No.3, Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies, 1997.
- "Social and Institutional Bases for Public Involvement in the Resolution of Environmental Pollution Disputes in China" in Wang Canfa, Xu Kezhu, Hu Jing, Liu Min, Tadayoshi Terao and Kenji Otsuka, Studies on Environmental Pollution Disputes: Cases from Mainland China and Taiwan, Joint Research Program Series No.128, Chiba: IDE-JETRO, 2001.
- "China: Social Restructuring and the Emergence of NGOs" in Shigetomi, Shin'ichi ed. The State and NGOs: Perspective from Asia, Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2002.
- Turner, Jennifer L. and Kenji Otsuka eds. Promoting Sustainable River Basin Governance: Crafting Japan-U.S. Water Partnerships in China. IDE Spot Survey No.28 Institute of Developing Economies. 2005.
- Terao, Tadayoshi and Kenji Otsuka eds. Development of Environmental Policy in Japan and Asian Countries. Palgrave Macmillan, 2007
- Bi, Jun and Kenji Otsuka eds. Building Effective Governance for Water Environment Conservation in China: A Social Experiment in Community Roundtable Meetings in the Tai Lake Basin. Joint Research Program Series No.153. IDE-JETRO 2009
- “Strategies for Fragmentary Opportunities and Limited Resources: The Environmental Protest movement under Communist China in Transition”. Protest and Social Movements in the Developing World, Shinichi Shigetomi and Kumiko Makino eds. Edward Elgar, 2009
Membership of Academic SocietiesSociety for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies
Japanese Sociey for Environmental Law and Policy Studies
Japanese Society for Environmental Sociology
Society for Environmental Science, Japan
Japan-China Sociological Association
Japan Environmental Council
China Environmental Problem Research Group