Education / Research Experience
|M. A. in Area Studies, Graduate Division of International and Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Tokyo, 1994|
|Ph.D., School of Politics and International Studies, University of Leeds, 2008|
|General Research Department, IDE, 1994|
|Visiting Scholar, Harriman Institute, Columbia University, 1998-1999|
|Visiting Scholar, Institute for the Development of Kazakhstan, 1999-2001|
|Area Studies Department II, 2001|
|Area Studies Center, 2003|
|Fieldwork in Almaty, Kazakhstan, May-December 2011|
|Area Studies Center, 2012-|
- "Informal Payments and Connections in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan," Central Asian Survey , 34(3): 330-340, 2015.
- “Transnationalism As a Threat to State Security? Case Studies on Uighurs and Uzbeks in Kazakhstan,” in Uyama, Tomohiko ed., Empire, Islam, and Politics in Central Eurasia , Sapporo: Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University, 2007.
- “The ‘Triadic Nexus’ in Kazakhstan: A Comparative Study of Russians, Uighurs, and Koreans,” in Ieda, Osamu et al. eds., Beyond Sovereignty: From Status Law to Transnational Citizenship? , Sapporo: Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University, 2006.
- “Gosudarstvo – etnicheskoe men’shinstvo – etnicheskaia rodina etogo men’shinstva (Russkie, uigury i koreitsy v postsovetskom Kazakhstane),” in Furman, Dmitrii E. ed., Kazakhstan i Rossiia: obshchestva i gosudarstva , Moscow: Prava cheloveka, 2004. (In Russian)
- The Nationalities Question in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan (co-authored with Nurbulat Masanov, Erlan Karin, and Andrei Chebotarev), IDE, 2002.
- “Koreitsy v sovremennom Kazakhstane: strategiia vyzhivaniia v roli etnicheskogo men’shinstva,” Diaspory , Nos. 2/3, 2001. (In Russian)
- “The Korean Diaspora in Nationalizing Kazakhstan: Strategies for Survival as an Ethnic Minority,” in Kim, German N. and Ross King eds., Koryo Saram: Koreans in the Former USSR (Korean and Korean American Studies Bulletin , Vol. 12, Nos. 2/3), New Haven: East Rock Institute, 2001.
- “Deportation of Koreans from the Russian Far East to Central Asia,” in Komatsu, Hisao, Chika Obiya and John S. Schoeberlein eds., Migration in Central Asia: Its History and Current Problems , Osaka: Japan Center for Area Studies, National Museum of Ethnology, 2000.
Discussion Papers and Reports
- “A Note on Ethnic Return Migration Policy in Kazakhstan: Changing Priorities and a Growing Dilemma,” IDE Discussion Paper No. 394, 2013.
- “Neither Exit nor Voice: Loyalty as a Survival Strategy for the Uzbeks in Kazakhstan,” IDE Discussion Paper No. 286, 2011.
- “Ethnicity and Elections under Authoritarianism: The Case of Kazakhstan,” IDE Discussion Paper No. 194, 2009.
- “Managing Ethnicity under Authoritarian Rule: Transborder Nationalisms in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan,” IDE Interim Report, 2007.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japan Association for Central Asian Studies; Japan Association for Comparative Politics