Middle Eastern Studies Group, Area Studies Center
Kazakhstan politics, nationalism studies
Education / Research Experience
|M. A. in Area Studies, Graduate Division of International and Interdisciplinary Studies, The University of Tokyo, 1994|
|Ph.D., School of Politics and International Studies, The University of Leeds, 2008|
|Research Fellow, General Research Department, IDE, 1994|
|Visiting Scholar, The Harriman Institute, Columbia University (New York, USA), 1998-1999|
|Visiting Scholar, The Institute for the Development of Kazakhstan (Almaty, Kazakhstan), 1999-2001|
|Research Fellow, Area Studies Department II, IDE, 2001|
|Research Fellow, Area Studies Center, IDE, 2003|
|Research Fellow Sent Abroad (Almaty), 2011|
|Research Fellow, Area Studies Center, IDE, 2012-|
- "Neither Exit nor Voice: Loyalty as a Survival Strategy for the Uzbeks in Kazakhstan," IDE Discussion Paper No. 286, 2011.
- "Managing Ethnicity under Authoritarian Rule: Transborder Nationalisms in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan," IDE Interim Report, 2007.
- "Ethnicity and Elections under Authoritarianism: The Case of Kazakhstan," IDE Discussion Paper No. 194, 2009.
- "The 'Triadic Nexus' in Kazakhstan: A Comparative Study of Russians, Uighurs, and Koreans," in Ieda, Osamu et al. eds., Beyond Sovereignty: From Status Law to Transnational Citizenship?, Sapporo, Japan: Slavic Research Center, Hokkaido University, 2006, pp. 359-380.
- The Nationalities Question in Post-Soviet Kazakhstan (co-authored with Nurbulat Masanov, Erlan Karin, and Andrei Chebotarev), Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2002.
- "The Korean Diaspora in Nationalizing Kazakhstan: Strategies for Survival as an Ethnic Minority," in Kim, German N. and Ross King eds., Koryo Saram: Koreans in the Former USSR (Korean and Korean American Studies Bulletin, Vol. 12, Nos. 2/3), New Haven: East Rock Institute, 2001, pp. 89-113.
- "Deportation of Koreans from the Russian Far East to Central Asia," in Komatsu, Hisao, Chika Obiya and John S. Schoeberlein eds., Migration in Central Asia: Its History and Current Problems, Osaka: The Japan Center for Area Studies, National Museum of Ethnology, 2000, pp. 127-145.
- "Gosudarstvo - etnicheskoe men'shinstvo - rodina etogo men'shinstva (Russkie, uigury i koreitsy v postsovetskom Kazakhstane i k svoei rodine)," in Furman, Dmitrii E. ed., Kazakhstan i Rossiia: obshchestva i gosudarstvo, Moscow: Prava cheloveka, 2004, pp. 389-405.
- "Koreitsy v sovremennom Kazakhstane: strategiia vyzhivaniia v roli etnicheskogo men'shinstva," Diaspory, Nos. 2/3, 2001, pp. 194-220.
- "Koreans in the Russian Far East: Soviet Nationalities Policy and Deportation" (summary only), Suravu Kenkyu (Slavic Studies), No.45, 1998, pp. 163-196.
- "The 'Return' of Co-ethnics: Kazakhstan's Migration Policy toward Ethnic Kazakhs Abroad," Ajia Keizai, Vol. 51, No. 6, 2010, pp. 2-23.
- "Kazakhstan's 2007 Mazhilis Elections: The Establishment of a Pro-presidential 'One Party Dictatorship'," The Contemporary Middle East, No. 44, 2008, pp. 28-36.
- "Kazakhstan: Control of Ethnic Cleavages under the Authoritarian Regime," in Hazama, Yasushi ed., Cleavage Structures and Political Systems in West and Central Asia, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2006, pp. 211-248.
- Koreans in Central Asia: Far Away from the Land of Their Ancestors (co-authored with Shiro Hanya), Tokyo: Toyo Shoten, 2006.
- "Regional Political Elites in Kazakhstan, 1992-2001," in Sakai, Keiko and Hiroyuki Aoyama eds., Power Structure in Middle Eastern and Central Asian States, Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten, 2005, pp. 111-142.
- "The Present State of the Study of Koreans of the Former Soviet Union: A Review of Yi Aeria, Changes in a Minority Community in Central Asia: The Case of Koreans in Kazakhstan" (co-authored with Shir? Hanya), Ajia Keizai, Vol. 46, No. 10, 2005, pp. 66-79.
- "Nations and Politics: 'Nationalizing' States and Changing Interethnic Relations," in Iwasaki, Ichiro, Tomohiko Uyama and Hisao Komatsu eds., Contemporary Central Asia: In-Depth Analysis of Political and Economic Transformation, Tokyo: Nippon Hyoron Sha, 2004, pp. 81-102.
- "How Russia Deals with Russians in the 'Near Abroad': An Analysis of the Compatriot Law and the Citizenship Law," in Tabata, Shinichiro and Megumi Suezawa eds., The CIS: Restructuring of Former Soviet Spaces, Tokyo: Kokusai Shoin, 2004, pp. 93-112.
- "Co-opting Ethnic Movements in Kazakhstan: Why Anticipated Conflicts Did No Occur," in Takeuchi, Shin'ichi ed., State, Violence, and Politics: Conflicts in Asia and Africa, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2003, pp. 451-492.
- "Russia's Policy toward 'Compatriots' and Russians Abroad: A Case in Kazakhstan," Roshia Kenkyu (Russian Studies), No. 34, 2002, pp. 76-95.
- "Recent Developments among Russians in Kazakhstan: What Do 'A Separatist Movement' and 'An Appeal for Integration with Russia' Suggest?" Gendai no Chuto (The Contemporary Middle East), No. 29, 2000, pp. 27-38.
- "Kazakhstan's 1999 Parliamentary Elections: Staged 'Democratization' with Falsified Results," Roshia Kenkyu (Russian Studies), No. 30, 2000, pp. 73-92.
- Demographic Changes in Kazakhstan (Discussion Paper No. D98-16), Tokyo: Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University, 1999.
- "Economic Integration in the CIS: Kazakhstan's Strategy," in Shimizu, Manabu ed., Central Asian Experiments in the Transition to a Market Economy: Present Stages and the Work to Be Done, Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies, 1998, pp. 131-165.
Membership of Academic SocietiesJapan Association for Central Asian Studies; Japan Association for Comparative Politics