Senior Researcher, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center
Area studies ( South Asia), Gender and Development issues, Labor issues, Social development
Education / Research Experience
|Joined IDE, 1984|
|Dispatched to Dhaka, Bangladesh as an overseas junior research fellow, 1989-1992|
|Dispatched to the Hague, the Netherlands and Dhaka, Bangladesh as an overseas senior research fellow, 1997-1999|
|Returned to IDE, Area Studies Department I, 2001|
|Director, South Asia Study Group, Area Studies Center, IDE, 2003-2006|
|Research Fellow Sent Abroad (New Delhi), 2006-2011|
|Deputy Director-General, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, 2011-|
|Senior Researcher, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, 2014-|
|Political advisor at Japanese Embassy in Dhaka, 1999-2001|
Publications in English only
- Kumar, Rajnish, Arup Mitra and Mayumi Murayama, ‘Toiling Children in India: the Gender Dimension.’ IDE Discussion Paper No.352. 2012.
- ‘Challenges for Inclusive Sustained Employment: An Attempt to Organise Female Embroidery Homeworkers in Delhi,’ in Shigemochi Hirashima, Hisaya Oda and Yuko Tsujita eds., Inclusiveness in India: A Strategy for Growth and Equality, Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave MacMillan. 2011.
- Mitra, Arup and Mayumi Murayama, ‘Rural-to-Urban Migration in India: A District-level Analysis’ in Rajan, S. Irudaya. ed., Migration, Identity and Conflict: India Migration Report 2011, New Delhi: Routledge.
- Murayama, Mayumi and Nobuko Yokota, ‘Revisiting Labour and Gender Issues in Export Processing Zones: Cases of South Korea, Bangladesh and India’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.44, No.22, 2009.
- ‘Competition and Framing in Women’s Movement in India’, Shigetomi, Shinichi and Makino Kumiko eds., Protest and Social Movements in the Developing World, Cheltenham and Northampton: Edward Elgar, 2009.
- Sato, Hiroshi and Mayumi Murayama eds. Globalization, Employment and Mobility: South Asian Experience, 2008, Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Re-examining ‘Difference’ and ‘Development’: A Note on Broadening the Field of Gender and Development in Japan”, IDE Discussion Paper No.165, 2008.
- ‘Borders, Migration and Sub-regional Cooperation in Eastern South Asia’, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 41, No.14, 2006.
- Mayumi Murayama ed. Employment in Readymade Garment Industry in Post-MFA Era: The Cases of India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, JRP Series No.140, IDE, 2006
- Mayumi Murayama ed. Gender and Development: The Japanese Experience in Comparative Perspective, Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2005
- Mayumi Murayama, Kyoko Inoue and Sanjoy Hazarika eds. Sub-Regional Relations in the Eastern South Asia: With Special Focus on India's Northeast regions, JRP Series No.133, IDE, 2005.
- Kyoko Inoue, Etsuyo Arai and Mayumi Murayama eds. Elusive Borders: Changing Sub-Regional Relations in Eastern South Asia, Institute of Developing Economies. 2005.
- Kyoko Inoue, Mayumi Murayama, M.Rahmatullah and Centre for Bhutan Studies, Sub-Regional Relations in the Eastern South Asia: With Special Focus on Bangladesh and Bhutan, JRP Series No.132, IDE, March 2004.
- Bazlul Hoque Khondoker, Mayumi Murayama and S.M.Mahfuzur Rahman Garment Industry in Bangladesh: Its Socio-economic Implications, Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies. 1995.
- "Bangladesh Studies in Japan." Asian Research Trends: A Humanities and Social Science Review. no.7.