African Studies Group, Area Studies Center
Contemporary Politics of South Africa, Comparative Politics, International Relations
Education / Research Experience
|M.A. (International Relations), Graduate School of Arts and Science, University of Tokyo|
|Editorial staff, Information and Publications Department, IDE, 1996-1997|
|Research fellow, Africa Project, Development Studies Department, IDE, 1997-1998|
|Research fellow, Area Studies Department II (Africa), JETRO-IDE, 1998-2001|
|International Affiliate, Department of Political Studies, University of Cape Town, 2001-2003|
|African Studies Group, Area Studies Center, JETRO-IDE, 2003-present|
- Social Security Policy Reform in Post-Apartheid South Africa: A Focus on Basic Income Grant, Center for Civil Society Research Report, No.11, Durban: Centre for Civil Society, January 2004.
- "Book Review: Jeremy Seekings and Nicoli Nattrass, Class, Race and Inequality in South Africa, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 2005," Developing Economies, vol. 45, no.4, December 2007, pp.509-512.
- The Changing Nature of Employment and the Reform of Labour and Social Security Legislation in Post-Apartheid South Africa, IDE Discussion Paper No.140, Chiba: IDE-JETRO, 2008.
- Shigetomi, Shinichi and Kumiko Makino, eds. Protest and Social Movements in the Developing World. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar, 2009
- "Institutional Conditions for Social Movements to Engage in Formal Politics: The Case of AIDS Activism in Post-Apartheid South Africa," in Shigetomi, Shinichi and Kumiko Makino, eds. Protest and Social Movements in the Developing World. Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, USA: Edward Elgar, 2009, pp. 110-133.
- "The Changing Nature of Employment and the Reform of Labor and Social Security Legislation in Post-Apartheid South Africa," in K. Usami, ed., Non-Standard Employment under Globalization: Flexible Work and Social Security in the Newly Industrializing Countries, Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2010, pp. 73-97.
- Makino, Kumiko and Chizuko Sato, eds., Public Policy and Transformation in South Africa after Democratisation, IDE Spot Survey 33, 2013.
- The Anti-Apartheid Movement in Japan: An Overview, IDE Discussion Paper No.440, Chiba: IDE-JETRO, 2014.
- The Framing Discourses of 'Honorary White' in the Anti-Apartheid Movement in Japan, IDE Discussion Paper No.575, Chiba: IDE-JETRO, 2016.
Membership of Academic SocietiesJapan Association for African Studies
Japan Association for Comparative Politics
Japan Association of International Relations