Bangkok Research Center
Southeast Asian economies, Myanmar economy
Education / Research Experience
|B.A. in Economics, Kyoto University, 1992|
|M.A. in Development Economics (with distinction), University of Sussex, 1999|
|Staff, Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd., 1992-1997|
|Research Fellow, Development Studies Department (now Development Studies Center), IDE, 2001-2006|
|Research Fellow Sent Abroad (Yangon) (Visiting Researcher, Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, Myanmar), 2006-2008|
|Research Fellow, Development Studies Center, 2008- 2012|
|Bangkok Research Center, 2012-|
(Refereed journal articles)
- Myanmar’s Two Decades of Partial Transition to a Market Economy: A Negative Legacy for the New Government, Post-Communist Economies, forthcoming (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No. 376)
- Real Exchange Rate Appreciation, Resource Boom, and Policy Reform in Myanmar, Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, vol.27, no.1, forthcoming (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No. 358)
- Trade Policy and Trade Mis-reporting in Myanmar, ASEAN Economic Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 2, August 2012, pp. 146-159. (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No. 326)
- Natural Gas Export Revenue, Fiscal Balance and Inflation in Myanmar, ASEAN Economic Bulletin, vol.28, no. 3, December 2011 , pp.374-387. (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No.225)
- Do Foreign Currency Deposits Promote or Deter Financial Intermediary Development in Low-Income Countries? An Empirical Analysis of Cross-Country Data, Developing Economies, vol.46, no.3, September 2008, pp.264-89
- Determinants of Parallel Exchange Rate in Myanmar, ASEAN Economic Bulletin, vol.24, no.3, December 2007, pp.289-304
- The Degree of Competition in the Thai Banking Industry before and after the East Asian Crisis, ASEAN Economic Bulletin, vol.23, no.3, December 2006, pp.325-40 (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No.56)
(Book chapters etc)
- “Sources of Fluctuations in Parallel Exchange Rates and Policy Reform in Myanmar,” IDE Discussion Paper No. 388, February 2013.
- “Restructuring the State Budget System for Disinflation and Exchange Rate Unification in Myanmar” IDE Discussion Paper No. 320, January 2012.
- “Industrialization, Economic Growth and the Banking Sector in the CLMV Countries,” in Amakawa, N. (ed.) Industrialization in Late-Developing ASEAN Countries: Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam, NUS Press: Singapore, 2010.
- “The Financial Sector during the Transition to a Market Economy in Myanmar” (co-authored with R. Fukui and F. Mieno) in Fujita, K, F. Mieno, and I. Okamoto (eds) The Economic Transition in Myanmar after 1988: Market Economy versus State Control, NUS Press: Singapore, 2009.
- "Repression of the Banking Sector in Transition to a Market-based Economy: The Case of Vietnam" in Watanabe, M. (ed.) Recovering Financial Systems: China and Asian Transition Economies, Palgrave Macmillan, 2006