Financial and Macroeconomic Analysis Studies Group, Development Studies Center
Southeast Asian economies, Myanmar economy
Education / Research Experience
|B.A. in Economics, Kyoto University, 1992|
|M.A. in Development Economics (with distinction), University of Sussex, 1999|
|Staff, Sumitomo Electric Industries, Ltd., 1992-1997|
|Research Fellow, Development Studies Department (now Development Studies Center), IDE, 2001-2006|
|Research Fellow Sent Abroad (Yangon) (Visiting Researcher, Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, Myanmar), 2006-2008|
|Research Fellow, Development Studies Center, 2008-2012|
|Bangkok Research Center, 2012-2016|
|Senior Research Fellow, Development Studies Center, 2016-present|
(Refereed journal articles)
- "Impacts of Foreign Exchange Auctions on the Informal Market Rate in Myanmar," Global Economic Review, forthcoming, 2017.
- "Evolving Informal Remittance Methods among Myanmar Migrant Workers in Thailand," Journal of the Asia Pacific Economy, forthcoming, 2017. (Preliminary version: ERIA Working Papers DP-2015-45)
- “Myanmar’s Non-Resource Export Potential after the Lifting of Economic Sanctions: A Gravity Model Analysis,” Asia-Pacific Development Journal, vol.21, no.1, June 2014, pp.1-22.
- “Foreign Exchange Market Reform in Myanmar: Achievements and Challenges,” Journal of Southeast Asian Economies, vol.31, no.2, August 2014, pp. 210-224. (Invited paper)
- ”Rice Yield Gap between Myanmar and Vietnam: A Matter of Price Policy or Public Investment in Technology? Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development, vol.10, no.1, June 2013, pp. 1-24
- "Myanmar’s Two Decades of Partial Transition to a Market Economy: A Negative Legacy for the New Government," Post-Communist Economies, vol.25, no.3, September 2013, pp. 357-370. (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No. 376)
- "Real Exchange Rate Appreciation, Resource Boom, and Policy Reform in Myanmar," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, vol.27, no.1, May 2013, pp. 110-126. (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No. 358)
- "Trade Policy and Trade Mis-reporting in Myanmar," ASEAN Economic Bulletin, vol. 29, no. 2, August 2012, pp. 146-159. (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No. 326)
- "Natural Gas Export Revenue, Fiscal Balance and Inflation in Myanmar," ASEAN Economic Bulletin, vol.28, no. 3, December 2011 , pp.374-387. (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No.225)
- "Do Foreign Currency Deposits Promote or Deter Financial Intermediary Development in Low-Income Countries? An Empirical Analysis of Cross-Country Data," Developing Economies, vol.46, no.3, September 2008, pp.264-89
- "Determinants of Parallel Exchange Rate in Myanmar," ASEAN Economic Bulletin, vol.24, no.3, December 2007, pp.289-304
- "The Degree of Competition in the Thai Banking Industry before and after the East Asian Crisis," ASEAN Economic Bulletin, vol.23, no.3, December 2006, pp.325-40 (Preliminary version: IDE Discussion Paper No.56)
(Book chapters etc)
- "Myanmar's Cross-border Trade with China: Beyond Informal Trade," IDE Discussion Paper No.625, December 2016.
- (Mieno, F. and K. Kubo) "Growth Structure and Macroeconomy Under Twenty Years of Junta Regime in Myanmar," in Odaka, K. (ed.) The Myanmar Economy—Its Past, Present and Prospects, Springer: Tokyo, 2016.
- “Transition from Black to Official Markets for Foreign Exchange in Myanmar,” IDE Discussion Paper No.511, March 2015.
- “Deposit Dollarization in Myanmar,” IDE Discussion Paper No. 473, August 2014.
- “Have Reforms Established Transmission Channels of Exchange Rate Policy in Myanmar?” Procedia Economics and Finance, vol.5, 2013, pp.459-467.
- “Sources of Fluctuations in Parallel Exchange Rates and Policy Reform in Myanmar,” IDE Discussion Paper No. 388, February 2013.
- “Restructuring the State Budget System for Disinflation and Exchange Rate Unification in Myanmar” IDE Discussion Paper No. 320, January 2012.
- “Industrialization, Economic Growth and the Banking Sector in the CLMV Countries,” in Amakawa, N. (ed.) Industrialization in Late-Developing ASEAN Countries: Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam, NUS Press: Singapore, 2010.
- “The Financial Sector during the Transition to a Market Economy in Myanmar” (co-authored with R. Fukui and F. Mieno) in Fujita, K, F. Mieno, and I. Okamoto (eds) The Economic Transition in Myanmar after 1988: Market Economy versus State Control, NUS Press: Singapore, 2009.
- "Repression of the Banking Sector in Transition to a Market-based Economy: The Case of Vietnam" in Watanabe, M. (ed.) Recovering Financial Systems: China and Asian Transition Economies, Palgrave Macmillan, 2006