Director-General, Area Studies Center
Comparative Politics, New Democracies, Political Institutions, Southeast Asian Politics
Education / Research Experience
|Ph. D. in Political Science, Kobe University, 2004|
|M. A. in Law, Waseda University, 1993|
|B. A. in Law, Waseda University, 1989|
|Director-General, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2017-present|
|Deputy Director-General, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2016-2017|
|Senior Researcher, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2015-2016|
|Director, Southeast Asian Studies Group I, Area Studies Center, 2012-2015|
|Senior Researcher, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2010-2012|
|Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, 2008|
|Visiting Scholar, Ateneo de Manila University, 2006-2007|
|Visiting Scholar, Stanford University, 2005-2006|
|Associate Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, 2004 - 2008|
|Visiting Research Associate, University of the Philippines, 1996-1998|
|Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, 1993 - 2004|
|Lecturer in Comparative Politics and Government, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, International Christian University,
2010 - present (spring terms).
Lecturer in Area Politics, Faculty of Law, Kobe University, 2011 and 2013 (Intensive Summer Course).
Lecturer in Asian Politics, Department of Political Science, Meiji University, 2010 - 2012, 2014 (2nd semesters).
Lecturer in Politics in Southeast Asia, College of Liberal Arts, International Christian University, Winter Term 2009.
Lecturer in Comparative Politics (East Asia), Department of Political Science, Meiji University, 1st semester 2009.
Lecturer in Area Studies (Southeast Asia), Faculty of Law, Seijo University, Tokyo, 2001 - 2004 (1st semesters).
Lecturer in Southeast Asian Politics, Department of Political Science, Komazawa University, Tokyo, 1st Semester 2000.
Board of Directors, Japan Association for Asian Studies, 2015-present.
Chair, Committee on Philippine Assistance Program Evaluation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2010.
Member, Committee on Philippine Assistance Program, Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2010.
Short Term Consultant, the World Bank, 2007, 2008.
Editorial Board, Ajia Kenkyu (Asian Studies), 2004 - 2011.
Editorial Board, Ajia Keizai (Asian Economies), 1999-2001; 2011-2016.
- Political Determinants of Income Inequality in Emerging Democracies. Singapore: Springer (co-authored with Yasushi Hazama). 2016.
- "The Stakes of Politics and Electoral Administration: A Comparative Study of Southeast Asian Democracies" IDE Discussion Paper Series No. 536. October 2015.
- Book Review "Making Democratic Governance Work: How Regimes Shape Prosperity, Welfare, and Peace by Pippa Norris" Developing Economies, Volume 52, Number 1 (March 2014)．
- "Redistributive Politics in New Democracies: A Theoretical Review" in Political Determinants of Social Policy (Basic Theoretical Research Report) ed. by Takeshi Kawanaka, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2013.
- “Trading Compromises: Interaction of Powers in the Philippine Presidential System,” in Presidents, Assemblies and Policy-making in Asia. ed. by Yuko Kasuya. London: Palgrave-Macmillan. 2013.
- "Book Reviews: From the Ballot to the Blackboard: The Redistributive Political Economy of Education by Ben W. Ansell" Developing Economies, Volume 49, Number 4 (December 2011)．
- "Establishing Electoral Administration Systems in New Democracies." IDE Discussion Paper No.305. August 2011 (with Yuki Asaba).
- "The Urban Middle Class in the Instability of New Democracies." IDE Discussion Paper Series No. 260. November 2010.
- “Political Institutions and Policy Outcomes: Effects of Presidential Vetoes on Budget Making.” IDE Discussion Paper Series No. 240. June 2010.
- “Interaction of Powers in the Philippine Presidential System.” IDE Discussion Paper No. 233. April 2010.
- Political Conditions for Fair Elections IDE Discussion Paper No.181, 2008
- “Book Review: Alberto Diaz-Cayeros, Federalism, Fiscal Authority, and Centralization in Latin America, Cambridge University Press, 2006.” Developing Economies, Vol.XLV. no.3, 2007.
- Who Eats the Most? : Quantitative Analysis of Pork Barrel Distributions in the Philippines, IDE Discussion Paper No.126, 2007.
- Power in a Philippine City, IDE Occasional Papers Series No38, 2002
- The Philippines: From Agents to Political Actors," in Shinichi Shigetomi ed., The State and NGOs: Perspective from Asia, Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2002
Membership of Academic SocietiesJapanese Political Science Association, Japan Association for Comparative Politics, Japan Association for Asian Studies, American Political Science Association