Education / Research Experience
|Ph. D. in Political Science, Kobe University, 2004|
|M. A. in Law, Waseda University, 1993|
|B. A. in Law, Waseda University, 1989|
|Director-General, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2017-present|
|Deputy Director-General, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2016-2017|
|Senior Researcher, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2015-2016|
|Director, Southeast Asian Studies Group I, Area Studies Center, 2012-2015|
|Senior Researcher, Area Studies Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2010-2012|
|Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, 2008|
|Visiting Scholar, Ateneo de Manila University, 2006-2007|
|Visiting Scholar, Stanford University, 2005-2006|
|Associate Senior Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, 2004-2008|
|Visiting Research Associate, University of the Philippines, 1996-1998|
|Research Fellow, Institute of Developing Economies, 1993-2004|
|Lecturer in Comparative Politics and Government, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, International Christian University, 2010 - present (spring terms).|
|Lecturer in Area Politics, Faculty of Law, Kobe University, 2011 and 2013 (Intensive Summer Course).|
|Lecturer in Asian Politics, Department of Political Science, Meiji University, 2010 - 2012, 2014 (2nd semesters).|
|Lecturer in Politics in Southeast Asia, College of Liberal Arts, International Christian University, Winter Term 2009.|
|Lecturer in Comparative Politics (East Asia), Department of Political Science, Meiji University, 1st semester 2009.|
|Lecturer in Area Studies (Southeast Asia), Faculty of Law, Seijo University, Tokyo, 2001 - 2004 (1st semesters).|
|Lecturer in Southeast Asian Politics, Department of Political Science, Komazawa University, Tokyo, 1st Semester 2000.|
|Chair of Editorial Board, Ajia Keizai (Asian Economies), 2017–present.|
|Board of Directors, Japan Association for Asian Studies, 2015-2017.|
|Chair, Committee on Philippine Assistance Program Evaluation, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2010.|
|Member, Committee on Philippine Assistance Program, Japan International Cooperation Agency, 2010.|
|Short Term Consultant, the World Bank, 2007, 2008.|
|Editorial Board, Ajia Kenkyu (Asian Studies), 2004-2011.|
|Editorial Board, Ajia Keizai (Asian Economies), 1999-2001; 2011-2016.|
- Political Determinants of Income Inequality in Emerging Democracies. Singapore: Springer (co-authored with Yasushi Hazama). 2016.
- "The Stakes of Politics and Electoral Administration: A Comparative Study of Southeast Asian Democracies" IDE Discussion Paper Series No. 536. October 2015.
- Book Review "Making Democratic Governance Work: How Regimes Shape Prosperity, Welfare, and Peace by Pippa Norris" Developing Economies, Volume 52, Number 1 (March 2014)．
- "Redistributive Politics in New Democracies: A Theoretical Review" in Political Determinants of Social Policy (Basic Theoretical Research Report) ed. by Takeshi Kawanaka, Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, 2013.
- “Trading Compromises: Interaction of Powers in the Philippine Presidential System,” in Presidents, Assemblies and Policy-making in Asia. ed. by Yuko Kasuya. London: Palgrave-Macmillan. 2013.
- "Book Reviews: From the Ballot to the Blackboard: The Redistributive Political Economy of Education by Ben W. Ansell" Developing Economies , Volume 49, Number 4 (December 2011)．
- "Establishing Electoral Administration Systems in New Democracies." IDE Discussion Paper No.305. August 2011 (with Yuki Asaba).
- "The Urban Middle Class in the Instability of New Democracies." IDE Discussion Paper Series No. 260. November 2010.
- “Political Institutions and Policy Outcomes: Effects of Presidential Vetoes on Budget Making.” IDE Discussion Paper Series No. 240. June 2010.
- “Interaction of Powers in the Philippine Presidential System.” IDE Discussion Paper No. 233. April 2010.
- Political Conditions for Fair Elections IDE Discussion Paper No.181, 2008
- “Book Review: Alberto Diaz-Cayeros, Federalism, Fiscal Authority, and Centralization in Latin America, Cambridge University Press, 2006.” Developing Economies, Vol.XLV. no.3, 2007.
- Who Eats the Most? : Quantitative Analysis of Pork Barrel Distributions in the Philippines, IDE Discussion Paper No.126, 2007.
- Power in a Philippine City, IDE Occasional Papers Series No38, 2002
- The Philippines: From Agents to Political Actors," in Shinichi Shigetomi ed., The State and NGOs: Perspective from Asia, Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2002
Membership of Academic Societies
Japanese Political Science Association, Japan Association for Comparative Politics, Japan Association for Asian Studies, American Political Science Association