Taipei, Research Fellow Sent Abroad
Industrial development in Taiwan and East Asian economies.
Education / Research Experience
|Bachelor's degree, Faculty of Economics, the University of Tokyo, 1991|
|Ph.D candidate in Economics, the University of Tokyo, 2002|
|Doctor in Economics, the University of Tokyo, 2011|
|Statistical Research Department, IDE, 1991|
|Economic Cooperation Research Department, IDE, 2001-|
|Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, IDE, 2003-|
|Deputy Director, Business and Industry Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, IDE, 2009-|
|Research Fellow Sent Abroad, Taipei, 2012-|
|Visiting researcher, Chung-hua Institute for Economic Research, Taipei, Taiwan, 1995-1997|
- “Value Chain Dynamics and Capability Formation by Latecomer Firms in East Asia,” in Momoko Kawakami and Timothy J. Sturgeon eds. The Dynamics of Local Learning in Global Value Chains: Experiences from East Asia, Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- “Inter-firm Dynamics in Notebook PC Value Chains and the Rise of Taiwanese Original Design Manufacturing Firms,” in Momoko Kawakami and Timothy J. Sturgeon eds. The Dynamics of Local Learning in Global Value Chains: Experiences from East Asia, Basingstoke and New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- “Global Value Chains in the Electronics Industry: Was the Crisis a Window of Opportunity for Develping Countries?” in Cattaneo, Olivier, Gary Gereffi and Cornelia Staritz eds. Global Value Chains in a Postcrisis World: a Development Perspective, Washington, D.C.: The World Bank (co-authored with Timothy J. Sturgeon), 2010.
- "New Wine, Old Bottles: The Entry of Taiwanese Family-owned Business Groups into the Telecommunications Industry," in Alex E. Fernández Jilberto & Barbara Hogenboom eds. Big Business on the Rise: Conglomerates and Economic Groups in Developing Countries and Transition Economies under Globalisation (Routledge; London), December 2006.
- "Changing Roles of Innovation and Imitation in Industrial Development: The Case of the Machine Tool Industry in Taiwan," (with Tetsushi Sonobe and Keijiro Otsuka), Economic Development and Cultural Change, vol.52 no.1. October 2003.
- "A Distributive Comparison of Enterprise Size in Korea and Taiwan," (with Makoto Abe), The Developing Economies, vol.XXXV no.4, December 1997.
- "Development of the Small- and Medium-sized Manufacturers in Taiwan's PC Industry," Discussion Paper Series, no.9606, Chung-Hua Institution for Economic Research, Taipei, 1996.