Executive Vice President
Africa Area Study, Development Economics
Education / Research Experience
|Ph.D of Global Studies, Doshisha University, 2011|
|Graduate School of Waseda University (Master of Economics), 1984|
|Faculty of Political Economy, Waseda University (bachelor of Economics), 1981|
|Executive Vice President, 2015-|
|Chief Senior Researcher, Area Studies Center, 2012-2015|
|Director General, Area Studies Center, 2008-2012|
|Executive Director, JETRO Johannesburg, 2004-2007|
|Director, Africa Studies Group, Institute of Developing Economies (IDE- JETRO), 1998-2004|
|joined the IDE, 1991|
|Program Officer, Sasakawa Peace Foundation (SPF), 1988-1991|
|Adviser, International Development Center of Japan (IDCJ), 1987-1989|
|Special Assistant, Embassy of Japan in Zimbabwe, 1984-1987|
|Lecturer, Keio University, 2015-|
|Lecturer, Rikkyo University, 2014-2015|
|Board Member, Japan Consortium for Area Studies, 2010-2015|
|Lecturer, University of Tokyo, 2008-2010|
|Board Member, Sasakawa Africa Associaiton, 2007-|
|Okita Memorial Prize, 2003|
|Lecturer, University of Tokyo, 2000-2004|
|Azusa Ono Memorial Award, 1982|
|Lecturer, University of the Sacred Heart, 1997-2002|
|Visiting Researcher, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1993-1995|
- "TICAD and the National Interest of Japan", Japanese Studies, Vol.32, No.2, September 2012
- “What is Happening in “Poor” Africa?”, Takashi Shiraishi, Tatsufumi Yamagata and Shahid Yusuf eds., Poverty Reduction and Beyond: Development Strategies for Low-income Countries, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009.
- “Japanese Commitment for the Green Revolution in Sub-Saharan Africa”, Steven A Breth ed., From Subsistence to Sustainable Agriculture in Africa, Sasakawa Africa Asso¬citation, 2004.
- “Mass Unemployment in South Africa: A Comparative Study with East Asia”, IDE Discussion Paper No. 6, 2004.
- Japan and South Africa in a Globalising World: A Distant Mirror, co-eds. with Chris Alden, Ashgate, 2003.
- Globalization Carried on Human Feet, co-eds. with Hiroshi K. Sato, IDE Spot Survey No.27, 2003.
- The Study on Japan’s Official Development Assistance to Southern African Countries, Vol. 2, co-author, JICA , 2000.
- “Japanese ODA in the Era of Globalisation”, Philip Ne led., State/Society Responses to Globalisation: Comparative Perspectives from Japan and Southern Africa, Stellenbosch University.
- "Globalization and African Renaissance", Ippei Yamazawa ed., Developing Economies in the Twenty-First Century, IDE-JETRO, 2000.
- The OECD/DAC’s New Development Strategy, Vol.3 (co-author), JICA, 1998.
- Africa: The Continent of Economy, Chuokoron-shinsha, 2013.
- Africa’s Problem: The World History of Development and Aid, Nippon-Hyoron-sha Co. Ltd., 2009.
- The Impact of South Africa, Nikkei Publishing Inc., 2009.
- African Economy transformed by Firms; Expansion of South African and Chinese Firms, ed., IDE-JETRO, 2006.
- Econometrics for Sub-Saharan Africa, ed., IDE-JETRO, 2005.
- Toward the Economics of Sub-Saharan Africa, ed., IDE-JETRO, 2003.
- Illustrated Africa's Economy, Nippon-Hyoron-sha Co. Ltd., 2002 (awarded 2003 Okita Memorial Prize).
- Comparing Africa: The Challenges of the Disciplines, ed., IDE-JETRO, 2001.
- The Impacts of New South Africa, ed., IDE-JETRO, 1999.