Shintaro Hamanaka is currently Overseas Fellow of Institute of Developing Economies of Japan External Trade Organization (IDE-JETRO), stationed as Washington D.C. He is holding Visiting Fellowship at Reischauer Center for East Asian Studies at School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Johns Hopkins University.
Before joining the IDE-JETRO in 2016, he worked for the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for 8 years as Economist at Office of Regional Economic Integration. Between 2006 and 2008, he was involved in the Doha Round services trade negotiations at the Japanese Mission to World Trade Organization (WTO) in Geneva. He also worked for Bank of Japan for 8 years and was involved in economic research and policy making on regional financial cooperation in Asia soon after the Asian financial crisis.
His research interests include international political economy (IPE), regionalism, free trade agreements (FTAs), bilateral investment treaties (BITs), international financial institutions, trade in services and trade facilitation. He authors several books and numerous journal articles in the field of international relations, political science, economics and international economic law. He is the author of Asian Regionalism and Japan: The Politics of Membership in Regional Diplomatic, Financial and Trade Groups (Routledge, 2009), and Asian Free Trade Agreements and WTO Compatibility: Goods, Services, Trade Facilitation and Economic Cooperation (World Scientific, 2014). He has PhD from University of Sheffield.
Education / Research Experience
|B.A. Kyoto University, Ph.D. University of Sheffield|
|Bank of Japan, Permanent Mission of Japan to WTO, Asian Development Bank|
- Asian Free Trade Agreements and WTO Compatibility, World Scientific Studies in International Economics Series No. 32, World Scientific, Singapore, 2013
- Methodology for Impact Assessment of Free Trade Agreements, Asian Development Bank, Manila, 2010 (co-authored with M. Plummer and D. Cheong)
- Designing and Implementing Trade Facilitation in Asia and the Pacific, Asian Development Bank – United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, 2009; The second edition in 2013 (project leader, co-authored).
- Asian Regionalism and Japan: The Politics of Membership in Regional Diplomatic, Financial and Trade Groups, Routledge, London, 2009
- "Meta-level Institutionalization of Negotiations: Explaining Irreconcilable Sino-Japan Rivalry in TPP, RCEP, AIIB and AMF", in Chay Yue Wah, Thomas Menkhoff and Linda Low (eds) (forthcoming).
- "Accession to TPP: Veto Power and "Opt-out" Option" in Julien Chaisse, Henry Gao and Chang fa Lo (eds), Paradigm Shift in International Economic Law Rule-Making: TPP as a New Model for Trade Agreements?, Springer, 2017
- "China-Japan-Korea Trilateral Investment Treaty: Implications for Future Investment Negotiations in Asia"in Julien Chaisse, Tomoko Ishikawa, and Sufian Jusoh (eds), Asia's Changing International Investment Regime Sustainability, Regionalization, and Arbitration, Springer, 2017
- "Foreign Governmental Suppliers' Investment: Profit or Aid? The Case Study of Japanese City Water Bureau" in Julien Chaisse (eds), Regulation of the Global Water Services Market, Cambridge University Press, 2016, Cambridge University Press, 2016 (forthcoming)
- "Asian Noodle Bowl of International Investment Agreements (IIAs): How to mitigate the problems?" in Errol Muir (eds), Current Issues in Asia Pacific Foreign Direct Investment, Australian APEC Center, 2015 (with Julien Chaisse)
- "Examining Three Waves of Trade Regionalism from the Legal Perspective", in Won-mog Choi (eds), International Economic Law - Asia-Pacific Perspectives, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2015
- "International Transaction in Tertiary Education Services: The Case of Japan" in Christopher Findlay, Hildegunn Nordas and Gloria Pasadilla (eds), Trade Policy in Asia: Higher Education and Media Services, Studies in International Economics Series No. 36, World Scientific, 2014
- "Services Sector Integration in Asia: Emerging Regional Service Business Model" in Choi Byung-il and Changyong Rhee (eds), Future of Factory Asia, Asian Development Bank/Korea Economic Research Institute, 2014
- "Understanding the ASEAN Way of Regional Qualification Governance: The Case of Service Mutual Recognition Agreements", Regulation & Governance (forthcoming) (with Sufian Jusoh)
- "The "noodle bowl effect" of investment treaties in Asia: The phenomenon, the problems, the practical solutions", ICSID Review - Foreign Investment Law Journal (forthcoming) (with Julien Chaisse).
- "Insights to Great Powers' Desire to Establish Institutions: Comparison of ADB, AMF, AMRO and AIIB", Global Policy , 2016
- "World Ranking of Trade Statistics Accuracy", Global Trade and Customs Journal , 11 (2), 2016 (with Aiken Tafgar and Ronaldo Ico)
- "What is Subregionalism? Analytical Framework and Two Case Studies from Asia", Pacific Focus , 30 (3), 2015
- "The Fourth Wave of FTAs in 2015-2016?", Global Trade and Customs Journal , 10 (7/8), 2015
- "Overcoming Trade Logistics Challenges: Asia-Pacific Experiences", Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics , 2015. (with Ben Shephered)
- "Impediments to Growth and Export of Garment and Food Industries in Cambodia Exploiting Potential Benefits of the ASEAN-China FTA", Journal of Greater Mekong Subregion Development Studies , Volume 6, 2014 (with V. Chheang)
- "Finding Non-Notified Trade Agreements to the WTO: Preliminary Investigation in Asia-Pacific", Journal of World Trade , 48(6), 2014
- "TPP versus RCEP: Control of Membership and Agenda Setting", Journal of East Asian Economic Integration 18 (2), 2014
- "WTO Agreement on Trade Facilitation: Assessing the Level of Ambition and Likely Impacts", Global Trade and Customs Journal 9 (7/8), 2014
- "Services Trade Integration in Asia: Comparison with Europe and North America", Journal of Asia Pacific Economy 19 (1), 2013
- "Detecting Bias in Assessing the Use of FTAs: Choosing Right Data and Indicators", Journal of Asian Economics 26, 2013
- "International services trade, domestic regulations and reforms: The case of tertiary education of Japan", Journal of International Trade Law and Policy , 12 (3), 2013.
- "Myth of Inter-regional Trade Relationship: East Asia and South America", Integration & Trade Journal 35, 2012 (with A. Tafgar)
- "Unexpected Usage of Enabling Clause? Proliferation of Bilateral Trade Agreements in Asia", Journal of World Trade , 46 (6), 2012
- "Trends of Trade Interdependence and Proliferation of FTAs in Asia: 1980-2010", Global Economy Journal , 12(2), 2012
- "Whose Trade Statistics are Correct? Multiple Mirror Comparison Techniques: A Test Case of Cambodia", Journal of Economic Policy Reform , 15(1), 2012.
- "Measuring Long-term Commodity-level Transport Costs: The Case of Asia", Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy 3(2), 2012 (with R. Domingo)
- "Evolutionary Paths to a Region-Wide Economic Agreement in Asia", Journal of Asian Economics , 23(4), 2012
- "Comparative Analysis of Technical Assistance Obligations under WTO and FTAs: The Missing Perspective of the Regionalism-Multilateralism Debate", Legal Issues of Economic Integration , 38 (4), 2011
- "Quality of Trade Statistics of the Lao PDR: Incompatibility with International Standards and Inaccuracies due to Smuggling", South East Asia Research , 19 (3), 2011
- "Asia-only versus Asia-Pacific Regionalism: Regionalism Cycle in Summits and Financial Cooperation", Pacific Focus 26 (2), 2011
- "Japan's Foreign Direct Investment in Services in ASEAN: The Implications of Services and Investment Agreements", Journal of World Investment and Trade , 12 (3), 2011
- "Asia's Past Financial Regionalism Projects and Their Contemporary Implications", Asia-Pacific Review , 18 (1), 2011
- "Asian Financial Cooperation in the 1990s: The Politics of Membership", Journal of East Asian Studies , 11 (1), 2011
Membership of Academic Societies