Environment and Natural Resource Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center
Social Stratification, Education and Social Movements
Education / Research Experience
|Master of Arts (Sociology) from Sophia University, March 1991|
|Ph.D. Program at the University of Tokyo. (Ph.D candidate since 2006), Since April 2001|
|Researcher at Institute of Developing Economies, April 1991 until present|
|Research Fellow at Faculty of Political Science, Thammasat University, Thailand (as research fellow sent abroad from IDE), November 1995 until November 1997|
Papers and book chapters in English
- Tamio Hattori and Tsuruyo Funatsu, "The Emergence of the Asian Middle Classes and Their Characteristics," Developing Economies, Volume XLI, No.2, 2003.
- Tamio Hattori, Tsuruyo Funatsu and Takashi Torii, "Introduction", Developing Economies, V Volume XLI,No.2, 2003.
- Tsuruyo Funatsu and Kazuhiro Kagoya, "The Middle Classes in Thailand: The Rise of the Urban Intellectual Elite and Their Social Consciousness," Developing Economies, Volume XLI, No.2, 2003.
- Tsuruyo Funatsu " Environmental Disputes in Thailand in the First Half of the 1990s: Movements in Urban and Rural Areas," in Fujisaki et al. (eds.) Environmental Awareness in Developing Countries: The Cases of China and Thailand, Tokyo: Institute of Developing Economies, 1997.
- Tsuruyo Funatsu (ed.) 2008 Preliminary results: The Survey of Local Administrative Organizations in Thailand (Report on the Research Project "The Central- Local Relationship in Thailand: "), Institute of Developing Economies.
- Fumio Nagai, Nakharin Mektrairat and Tsuruyo Funatsu (eds.) 2008 Local Government inＴｈａｉｌａｎｄ－Analysis of the Local Administrative Organization Survey - (JRP Serise No.147), Institute of Developing Economies.
Conference Papers and Presentations
- Tsuruyo Funatsu "The Formation of Sino-Thai Middle Class Merchants in Siam in the 1930s,"Paper presented for the Symposium on 'Middle Class Question?' at Faculty of Political Science, Thammasat University, 1998.
- Tsuruyo Funatsu "The Creation of the ‘New Thai’ Merchants in Siam in the 1930s," Paper presented for The 16th IAHA Conference at Sabah, Malaysia, July 29, 2000
- Tsuruyo Funatsu (presentation with Fumio Nagai and Kazuhiro Kagoya)
The Central-Local relationship in Thailand, in the theme session on Frontiers of Asian Sociologies Part II: Social Changes. The 80th Annual Conference of the Japan Sociological Society, at Kanto Gakuin University, November 18, 2007.
Book review in English
- Tsuruyo Funatsu 2005 Book Review, "Regional Development in Northeast Thailand and the Formation of Thai Civil Society." International Journal of Japanese Sociology. No.14, 2005.
Book and Book Chapters in Japanese
- Tamio Hattori, Tsuruyo Funatsu and Takashi Torii eds., 2002 The Emergence of the Asian Middle Classes and Their Characteristics (Ajia chukanso no Seisei to tokushitu), Chiba, Institute of Developing Economies.
- Tsuruyo Funatsu 2000 "Politics of Environment in Thailand: Environmental Policies and Participation, " in Akira Suehiro and Shigeki Higashi eds.Economic Policy in Thailand (Tai no Keizai-seisaku), Tokyo, Institute of Developing Economies.
- Tsuruyo Funatsu, 2002 "Nationalism Discourse and Sino-Thai Chinese in Thailand," in Mitsuo Ogura and Hirokatsu Kano eds., Changing "Third World" and International Sociology(Henbo suru "Daisan-sekai" to Kokusai Shakai), Tokyo, Tokyo University Press.
- Tsuruyo Funatsu 2003 "Expansion of Secondary Education in Thailand- Uneven Universalization process," in Akio Yonemura ed. World Educational Development, Tokyo, Akashi-shobo Press.
- Tsuruyo Funatsu (2006) "Social Stratification and life style," Ryukichi Kitagawa et al. How to Find Research Questions and Methods of Area Studies, Tokyo, Bunkashobo-Hakubunsha Press.
- Yoshifumi Tamada and Tsuruyo Funatsu (eds.), 2008 Thailand in Motion: Political and Administrative Changes, 1991-2006 (Tai seiji gyousei no henkaku-1991nen -2006nen-), Institute of Developing Economies.
Membership of Academic SocietiesThe Japan Sociological Society
Japan Association for Asian Studies
Japan Society for Southeast Asian History
Japan Association for Thai Studies