Education / Research Experience
|Master of Public Policy, University of Chicago|
|Ph.D in Economics, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London|
|Director, Business and Industry Studies Group, Inter-disciplinary Studies Center, IDE, 2014.-|
|Associate Senior Research Fellow, African Studies Group, Area Studies Center, IDE, 2006-2014|
|Research Fellow Sent Abroad (School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK), IDE, 2004-2006|
|Research Fellow, IDE, 2001-2004|
- Employment and Wages in Export-Oriented Garment Industry: Recent Trends in Low-income Countries under Trade Liberalization, Background paper to Industrial Development Report 2013, United Nations Industrial Development Organization, 2013 (with Tatsufumi Yamagata).
- “Political Crisis and Suspension of Duty-free Access in Madagascar: Assessment of Impacts on Garment Industry,” IDE Discussion Paper , No. 422, Institute of Developing Economies, 2013.
- “Firm Dynamics in the Cambodian Garment Industry: Firm Turnover, Productivity Growth, and Wage Profile under Trade Liberalization” Journal of Asia and Pacific Economy , Vol.18, No.1, pp.51-77, 2013. (with Yoko Asuyama, Dalin Chhun, Seiha Neou and Tatsufumi Yamagata)
- “FDI and Export Participation of Local Firms in Africa: The case of the Kenyan garment industry,” IDE Discussion Paper , No. 232, Institute of Developing Economies, 2010.
- “Has Low Productivity Constrained Competitiveness of African Firms?: Comparison of Kenyan and Bangladeshi Garment Firms,” Developing Economies , Vol.47, No.3, 2009.
- Clothing Exports from sub-Saharan Africa: Impact on Poverty and Potential for Growth , paper presented at World Bank ABCDE Conference Cape Town, June 2008.
The Garment Industry in Low-income Countries: An Entry Point of Industrialization, Basingstoke: Palgrave McMillan, 2014 (coeditor with Tatsufumi Yamagata).
- Delivering Sustainable Growth in Africa: African Farmers and Firms in a Changing World, Basingstoke: Palgrave McMillan, 2014 (editor).
- “Duty-free Quota-free Access in Madagascar: Consequence of the Abrupt Suspension,” in H. Sato and A. Yanai eds., Toward an Inclusive and a Little Bit Ethical Trading System: Listening to the Voices of Producers and Consumers, IDE Policy Proposal Research, Institute of Developing Economies、2014.
- Aid for Trade and Value Chains in Textiles and Apparel, A report presented at the 4th Global Review of Aid for Trade, WTO, Geneva, July, 2013. (with Kenta Goto, Tatsufumi Yamagata, Michael Roberts, Frans Lammersen, Se Eun Park, Conor Trodden, María Alvarez de Cozar, and Gerardo Melogno)
- Industrialization and Poverty Alleviation: Pro-poor industrialization strategies revisited, UNIDO Research Programme Report, United Nation Industrial Organization, 2006 (with Mayumi Murayama, Akio Nishiura and Tatsufumi Yamagata).
- " Bottom Billion by Paul Collier", Developing Economies , Vol.78, No.2
Lecturer, University of Sacred Heart, 2010-
Editor/ Referee (English journals only)
Developing Economies (Editor)
Japanese Economic Review, Journal of Asia and Pacific Economy, JICA Research Institute Working Paper