African Studies Group, Area Studies Center
Development Economics (Sub-Saharan Africa), Industrialization, Technology diffusion in manufacturing sector, Economic growth
Education / Research Experience
|Master of Public Policy, University of Chicago, 1999|
|Library, Institute of Developing Economies, 2000|
|Research Fellow, IDE, 2001|
|Research Fellow Sent Abroad (School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, UK), IDE, 2004-2006|
|African Studies Group, Area Studies Center, 2006-|
- “Firm Dynamics in the Cambodian Garment Industry: Firm Turnover, Productivity Growth, and Wage Profile under Trade Liberalization” Journal of Asia and Pacific Economy (forthcoming). (with Yoko Asuayama, Dalin Chhun, Seiha Neou and Tatsufumi Yamagata)
Discussion paper is here (IDE Discussion Paper, No.268, Institute of Developing Economies, 2010)
- “FDI and Export Participation of Local Firms in Africa: The case of the Kenyan garment industry,” IDE Discussion Paper, No. 232, Institute of Developing Economies, 2010.
- “Has Low Productivity Constrained Competitiveness of African Firms?: Comparison of Kenyan and Bangladeshi Garment Firms,” Developing Economies, Vol.47, No.3, 2009.
- Clothing Exports from sub-Saharan Africa: Impact on Poverty and Potential for Growth, paper presented at World Bank ABCDE Conference Cape Town, June 2008.
- “International Competitiveness of Manufacturing Firms in sub-Saharan Africa,” IDE Discussion Paper No.2, 2004.
Paper and Book Chapter in Progress
- “Impact of the Political Turmoil on Madagascar’s Garment Workers: Preliminary Study Based on the Firm Dataset 2008-2010,” a paper presented at Centre for Studies of African Economies Conference 2012, Oxford University, March 2012
- “Exporting Firms in Madagascar’s Garment Industry: Knowledge Transfer, Performance and Survival,” in Takahiro Fukunishi ed. African Producers in the 21st Century: Change of Firms, Farmers and Informal Sectors in the Growing Economies (with Herinjatovo Aimé Ramiarison).
- Industrialization and Poverty Alleviation: Pro-poor industrialization strategies revisited, UNIDO Research Programme Report, United Nation Industrial Organization, 2006 (with Mayumi Murayama, Akio Nishiura and Tatsufumi Yamagata).
- "Bottom Billion by Paul Collier", Developing Economies, Vol.78, No.2
Membership of Academic SocietiesJapan Association for African Studies
Japan Society of International Economics
Lecturer, University of Sacred Heart, 2010-
Developing Economies (Editor)
Japanese Economic Review, JICA Research Institute Working Paper