Education / Research Experience
|Bachelor of Social Studies, Hitotsubashi University, 1991|
|MPhil in Development Studies, University of Sussex, 1996|
|PhD in Development Studies, University of Sussex, 2013|
|Joined Institute of Developing Economies, 1996|
|APEC Study Center, Economic Cooperation Studies Department, 1997|
|Visiting Research Fellow, National University of Singapore, 2001-2002|
|Visiting Research Fellow, Institute of Economics, National Centre for Social Science and Humanities, Hanoi, Vietnam, 2003|
|Southeast Asian Studies Group II, Area Studies Center, 2004|
|Deputy Director, Southeast Asian Studies Group II, Area Studies Center, Apr 2009 -|
|Current Position, Jul 2014 -|
- “The Rise of Local Assemblers in the Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry: The Dynamics and Diversity of Industrial Organization” in Shozo Sakata ed. Vietnam’s Economic Entities in Transition , Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- “Exploring the Sources of China’s Challenge to Japan: Models of Industrial Organisation in the Motorcycle Industry”, Discussion Paper No.419, Institute of Developing Economies, 2013.
- “The Japanese and Chinese Models of Industrial Organisation: Fighting for Supremacy in the Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry”, Discussion Paper No.420, Institute of Developing Economies, 2013.
- “How sectoral systems of production promote capability building: insights from the Vietnamese motorcycle industry”, Asian Journal of Technology Innovation , Vol.20 No.S1, pp.111-131, 2012.
- “Value Chain Dynamics and Local Suppliers’ Capability Building: An Analysis of the Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry.” In The Dynamics of Local Learning in Global Value Chains: Experiences from East Asia , edited by Momoko Kawakami and Timothy J. Sturgeon. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- (Co-author with Akie Ishida) “Industrialization in Vietnam Concurrent with the Process of International Integration” in Naoko Amakawa (ed.) Industrialization in Late-Developing ASEAN Countries: Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam , Singapore: NUS Press, 2010.
- “The Diversity and Dynamics of Industrial Organisation: Transformation of Local Assemblers in the Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry,” Discussion Paper No. 230, Institute of Developing Economies, 2010.
- (Co-author with Patarapong Intarakumnerd) “China’s threat and opportunities for the Thai and Vietnamese motorcycle industries: a sectoral innovation system analysis” in Franco Malerba and Sunil Mani (eds.) Sectoral Systems of Innovation and Production in Developing Countries , Cheltenham and Northampton: Edward Elgar, 2009.
- “Value Chain Dynamics and Growth of Local Firms: The Case of Motorcycle Industry in Vietnam,” Discussion Paper No. 161, Institute of Developing Economies.
- Coping with a Giant: Challenges and Opportunities for Thai and Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry from China' (co-author with Patarapong Intarakumnerd). Science Technology & Society 13, no.4, 2008.
- Local Firms in Latecomer Developing Countries amidst China's Rise -The case of Vietnam's motorcycle industry-, Discussion Paper No. 97, Institute of Developing Economies, 2007.
- 'Regional Trade Arrangements and Strategies of Multinationals: Implications of ASEAN Free Trade Agreement (AFTA) for Economic Integration' in Satoru Okuda (ed.) APEC in the 21st Century ? Selected Issues for Deeper Economic Cooperation - , APEC Study Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2001.
- 'Foreign Direct Investment, Trade and Vietnam's Interdependence in the APEC Region' in Satoru Okuda (ed.) Industrial Linkage and Direct Investment in APEC , APEC Study Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2000.
- 'Asian Economy under Crisis and Economic Cooperation' in Ippei Yamazawa (ed.) Strengthening Cooperation Among Asian Economies in Crisis , Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization, 1999
- 'Vietnam in APEC: Changes in Trade Patterns after the Open Door Policy' in Satoru Okuda (ed.) Trade Liberalization and Facilitation in APEC ? A Re-Evaluation of APEC Activities , APEC Study Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 1999.
- 'Industrial Policies and Trade Liberalization ? The Automotive Industry in Thailand and Malaysia' in Keiji Omura (ed.) The Deepening Economic Interndependence in the APEC Region , APEC Study Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 1998.
Membership of Academic Societies
Japan Association for Asian Studies