Deputy Director, Southeast Asian Studies Group II, Area Studies Center
Vietnamese economy and industry
Education / Research Experience
|Bachelor of Social Studies, Hitotsubashi University, 1991|
|MPhil in Development Studies, University of Sussex, 1996|
|PhD in Development Studies, University of Sussex, 2013|
|Joined Institute of Developing Economies, 1996|
|APEC Study Center, Economic Cooperation Studies Department, 1997|
|Visiting Research Fellow, National University of Singapore, 2001-2002|
|Visiting Research Fellow, Institute of Economics, National Centre for Social Science and Humanities, Hanoi, Vietnam, 2003|
|Southeast Asian Studies Group II, Area Studies Center, 2004|
|Deputy Director, Southeast Asian Studies Group II, Area Studies Center, Apr 2009 -|
|Current Position, Jul 2014 -|
- “The Rise of Local Assemblers in the Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry: The Dynamics and Diversity of Industrial Organization” in Shozo Sakata ed. Vietnam’s Economic Entities in Transition, Palgrave Macmillan, 2013.
- “Exploring the Sources of China’s Challenge to Japan: Models of Industrial Organisation in the Motorcycle Industry”, Discussion Paper No.419, Institute of Developing Economies, 2013.
- “The Japanese and Chinese Models of Industrial Organisation: Fighting for Supremacy in the Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry”, Discussion Paper No.420, Institute of Developing Economies, 2013.
- “How sectoral systems of production promote capability building: insights from the Vietnamese motorcycle industry”, Asian Journal of Technology Innovation, Vol.20 No.S1, pp.111-131, 2012.
- “Value Chain Dynamics and Local Suppliers’ Capability Building: An Analysis of the Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry.” In The Dynamics of Local Learning in Global Value Chains: Experiences from East Asia, edited by Momoko Kawakami and Timothy J. Sturgeon. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- (Co-author with Akie Ishida) “Industrialization in Vietnam Concurrent with the Process of International Integration” in Naoko Amakawa (ed.) Industrialization in Late-Developing ASEAN Countries: Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam, Singapore: NUS Press, 2010.
- “The Diversity and Dynamics of Industrial Organisation: Transformation of Local Assemblers in the Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry,” Discussion Paper No. 230, Institute of Developing Economies, 2010.
- (Co-author with Patarapong Intarakumnerd) “China’s threat and opportunities for the Thai and Vietnamese motorcycle industries: a sectoral innovation system analysis” in Franco Malerba and Sunil Mani (eds.) Sectoral Systems of Innovation and Production in Developing Countries, Cheltenham and Northampton: Edward Elgar, 2009.
- “Value Chain Dynamics and Growth of Local Firms: The Case of Motorcycle Industry in Vietnam,” Discussion Paper No. 161, Institute of Developing Economies.
- Coping with a Giant: Challenges and Opportunities for Thai and Vietnamese Motorcycle Industry from China' (co-author with Patarapong Intarakumnerd). Science Technology & Society 13, no.4, 2008.
- Local Firms in Latecomer Developing Countries amidst China's Rise -The case of Vietnam's motorcycle industry-, Discussion Paper No. 97, Institute of Developing Economies, 2007.
- 'Regional Trade Arrangements and Strategies of Multinationals: Implications of ASEAN Free Trade Agreement (AFTA) for Economic Integration' in Satoru Okuda (ed.) APEC in the 21st Century ? Selected Issues for Deeper Economic Cooperation -, APEC Study Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2001.
- 'Foreign Direct Investment, Trade and Vietnam's Interdependence in the APEC Region' in Satoru Okuda (ed.) Industrial Linkage and Direct Investment in APEC, APEC Study Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 2000.
- 'Asian Economy under Crisis and Economic Cooperation' in Ippei Yamazawa (ed.) Strengthening Cooperation Among Asian Economies in Crisis, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization, 1999
- 'Vietnam in APEC: Changes in Trade Patterns after the Open Door Policy' in Satoru Okuda (ed.) Trade Liberalization and Facilitation in APEC ? A Re-Evaluation of APEC Activities, APEC Study Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 1999.
- 'Industrial Policies and Trade Liberalization ? The Automotive Industry in Thailand and Malaysia' in Keiji Omura (ed.) The Deepening Economic Interndependence in the APEC Region, APEC Study Center, Institute of Developing Economies, 1998.
Membership of Academic SocietiesJapan Association for Asian Studies