Fellowships / Job Openings
Job opening for IDE-JETRO Research Fellows for JFY 2018
as of January 18, 2018
Available positions and qualifications
Research Fellows of development studies (economic growth, economic integration, trade and investment, technological innovation, environment and natural resources, urban economy, rural areas and agriculture, population, education, health and labor, fiscal and monetary policies, industrial organization, legal system, and other development-related issues).
Applicants must hold a Ph.D. (or expected to receive a Ph.D. by March, 2019). We accept applicants of all nationality. Positions are offered as tenure-track or other fixed-term contracts. An applicant with a distinctive capacity may be offered a tenure immediately.
*Note: A tenure-track position is a three-year, fixed-term contract. The contract may be extended up to another two years. There will be annual reviews of tenure-track researchers. A tenure may be offered at the end of third year if all the reviews are favorable. A researcher receiving reviews with distinction may be offered a tenure at any time during the first three years.
How to apply
- Registration: All applicants must register online first.
- Documents: All applicants must provide the following by a postal or courier mail:
*We do not accept the submission via e-mail.
- Curriculum Vitae with a recent photograph (Download a template on our website)
- An essay explaining your motivation for applying for the position (either in English or Japanese, not exceeding one A4 size page)
- A list of your academic publications, including books, monographs, research papers, and other works in English and, if applicable, in Japanese
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or senior researcher from your institute or any comparable institution
- A copy of your PhD dissertation
- A copy of one major academic publication (book, monograph, research paper, or refereed article in English or Japanese)
- One copy of the abstracts of items listed in (e) and (f)
- Copies of diploma and certificates of Bachelor's, Master's and Doctor's degrees. (To be submitted after a job offer is made.)
Send all the materials to
Recruitment, Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
3-2-2, Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN
*On the envelope clearly print "Application materials: Development Studies"in red. Please note that most of application materials will not be returned.
January 18 to April 17, 2018 (All applications must be received by 17:00, April 17)
Evaluation based on submitted materials. Presentation sessions followed by interview(s) in English or Japanese (to be planned in mid or late June)
From April 1, 2019.
Work hours: Equivalent to 8 hours 35 minutes per day
Holidays: Saturdays, Sundays, national holidays, year-end and New Year holidays
Paid leaves: Annual, Summer, and other miscellaneous leaves specified by the law
Salary: Determined by age and work experiences as per IDE-JETRO policies
Social security: Eligible for National Health Insurance, National Unemployment Insurance,
Workers' compensation insurance, Employee's Pension Plan, Corporate Pension Fund
Please address all inquiries to:
IDE-JETRO, Recruitment, Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
Tel: 81-43-299-9528 / Fax: 81-43-299-9724
Please note that we cannot answer questions about result of screening.
All documents submitted will be handled in accordance with the relevant laws and JETRO's rules for the protection of personal information and will be used for recruitment purposes only. The information will not be shared with any third party unless it infringes with the relevant laws. With an exception of dissertation and published books, all the submitted documents will be demolished and will not be returned.