Fellowships / Job Openings
Job opening for IDE-JETRO Research Fellows for JFY 2018
as of April 21, 2017
IDE-JETRO is not accepting applications for this program.
Available positions and qualifications
Research Fellows of development studies with interest in empirical studies of economic integration, trade and investment, technological innovation, fiscal and monetary, industrial organization, urban economics, education, health and labor, environment and natural resources, legal system,or other development issues.
Applicants must have a PhD degree (or expect to be awarded a PhD no later than March, 2018). Qualified applicants of any nationality are welcome to apply. Positions are offered on a tenure-track basis or other fixed-term basis, with an exception for candidates with particular skills or remarkable career experience.
*Note: Tenure-track positions are fixed-term for three years, but the contract may be extended up to another two years. IDE-JETRO management will review the tenure-track researcher’s performance as well as achievement during the contract period, and a tenure position may be offered if the researcher performs above expectations.
How to apply
- Registration: All applicants must register online first.
- Documents: All applicants must provide the following:
*We do not accept the submission via e-mail.
- Curriculum Vitae with a recent photograph (Download a template on our website)
- An essay explaining your motivation for applying for the position (either in English or Japanese, not exceeding one A4 size page)
- A list of your academic publications, including books, monographs, research papers, and other works in English and, if applicable, in Japanese
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or senior researcher from your institute or any comparable institution
- A copy of your PhD dissertation
- A copy of one major academic publication (book, monograph, research paper, or refereed article in English or Japanese)
- One copy of the abstracts of items listed in (e) and (f)
- Copies of diploma and certificates of Bachelor, Master and Doctor.(submit after an offer)
Send all the materials to
Recruitment, Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
3-2-2, Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi, Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN
*On the envelope clearly print “Application materials: Development Studies” and specify the Application ID in red. Please note that application materials will not be returned.
January 16 to April 21, 2017 (All applications must be received by 17:00, April 21)
Examination of documents, dissertations and publications, presentation followed by interview(s) in English or Japanese (to be planned in middle or late June)
Employment will begin on April 1, 2018.
Working hours: 8 hours 35 minutes per day under the discretionary labor system
Days off: Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays, year-end and New Year holidays
Leave: Annual leave, Summer vacation, and other leaves
Salary: Determined on the basis of age and work experience as per IDE-JETRO regulations
Social insurance: Eligible for Health insurance, Employment insurance, Workers’ compensation insurance, Employee’s pension insurance, Corporate Pension
Please address all inquiries to:
IDE-JETRO, Recruitment, Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
Tel: 81-43-299-9528 / Fax: 81-43-299-9724
Please note that we cannot answer questions about result of screening.
All documents submitted will be handled with the utmost care in accordance with JETRO's rules for the protection of personal information and will be used for employment screening purposes only. The information will not be divulged, assigned, or loaned to any third party without legitimate reason. None of the submitted documents will be returned.