Fellowships / Job Openings
Job opening for IDE-JETRO Research Fellows for JFY 2016
Area Studies – Other Region
as of March 2, 2015
Available positions and qualifications
Research fellows of area studies with interest in development-country-related disciplines including regional studies, economics, business administration, geography, sociology, demography, politics, international relations, legal systems, public administration, economic history, and political history.
Applicants must have a PhD degree (or expect to be awarded a PhD no later than March, 2016).
Qualified applicants of any nationality are welcome to apply.
Positions are offered on a tenure-track basis or other fixed-term researcher, with an exception for candidates with particular skills or remarkable career experience.
*Note: Tenure-track positions are fixed-term for three years, but the contract may be extended up to another two years. IDE-JETRO management will review the researcher’s performance as well as achievements during the contract period, and a tenure position may be offered if the researcher performs above expectations.
How to apply
- Registration: All applicants must register online first.
- Documents: All applicants must provide the following:
- Curriculum Vitae with a recent photograph (Download a template)
- An essay explaining your motivation for applying for the position (either in English or Japanese, not exceeding one A4 size page)
- A list of your academic publications, including books, monographs, research papers, and other works in English and, if applicable, in Japanese
- A letter of recommendation from a professor or senior researcher from your institute or any comparable institution
- A copy of your PhD dissertation
- A copy of one major academic publication (book, monograph, research paper, or refereed article in English or Japanese)
- One copy of the abstracts of items listed in (e) and (f)
- Copies of diploma and certificates of Bachelor, Master and Doctor
Send all the materials to
Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
3-2-2, Wakaba, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi
Chiba 261-8545 JAPAN
On the envelope clearly print “Application materials: Area studies - Other Region”. Please note that application materials will not be returned.
March 2 to May 29, 2015 (All applications must be received by 17:00, May 29)
Examination of documents, dissertation and publications, presentation followed by interview(s) (to be planned in middle or late July)
Employment will begin on April 1, 2016.
Salary will be determined on the basis of age and work experience as per IDE-JETRO regulations.
Please address all inquiries to:
IDE-JETRO, Research Personnel Division
Research Planning Department
Tel: 81-43-299-9528 / Fax: 81-43-299-9724
Please note that we cannot answer questions about result of screening.
All documents submitted will be handled with the utmost care in accordance with JETRO's rules for the protection of personal information and will be used for employment screening purposes only. The information will not be divulged, assigned, or loaned to any third party without legitimate reason. None of the submitted documents will be returned.