Building Effective Governance for Water Environment Conservation in China
- A Social Experiment in Community Roundtable Meetings in the Tai Lake Basin -
Joint Research Program Series
2. Water Pollution and Crisis in the Tai Lake Basin
3. Reasons for Pollution in the Tai Lake Basin
(1) Industrial development is the most important aspect.
(2) Population in urban areas increased rapidly, resulting in large amount of municipal waste discharge.
(3) Agriculture pollution is another main source.
4. Control Action in the Tai Lake Basin
5. Policy Instruments in the Tai Lake Basin
5-1. Four types of policy instruments
5-2. Pilot COD emission trading program in the Tai Lake Basin in Jiangsu Province
6. Further possible efforts
2. Evolution and Status Quo of Public Participation in China’s Environmental Protection
3. Problems and Their Countermeasures in Relations to Public Participation in Chinese Environmental Protection
3-2 Countermeasures: in the viewpoint of Dealing with group environmental protests
3-3 Progress of environmental public participation in China
4. Outlook for Public Participation in Environmental Protection in China
Practices of Environmental Roundtable Meetings in Jiangsu Province (56KB) / Shi Wang, Jun Bi, and Junjie Ge
1.1 Changes in political and social circumstance
1.2 Harmonious society building
1.3 Increase of public awareness
2. Introduction to Environmental Roundtable Meeting
2.1 What is Environmental Roundtable Meeting?
2.2 Why Roundtable Meeting?
2.3 Who Participate?
2.4 How to organize?
3. Roundtable Meeting Practices
3.1 Practice in Jiangsu Province as Trial Program
3.2 Meeting in Yixing
3.3 Review Meeting
4.1 Who leads the meeting?
4.2 How to extend this kind of equivalent solving way for environment problem?
Governance for Water Environment Conservation: Implications from Japanese Experiences (159KB) / Kenji Otsuka with Kaori Fujita, Yayoi Isono, and Motoyuki Mizuochi
2. A Historical Overview of Water Environment Conservation Policy in Japan
2.1 Before 1944
2.2 1945 to the early 1960s
2.3 Late 1960s to the early 1970s
2.4 Early 1970s to the 1990s
2.5 1990s to the present
3. Issues in Governance of Water Environment Conservation
3.1 Integrated water resource management
3.2 Building basin governance
4. New Initiatives for Building Basin Governance: Case Studies
4.1 River basin committees and public involvement
4.2 Lake Saroma environment conservation through development of community-based fishery management
4.3 Forestry and water source environment conservation taxation by prefectures